Whats the best way to avoid an epidural?

Im about to have my first baby and I really would like to do it drug free but Im not always great with pain. Does anyone have any tips for coping with the pain and staying calm enough to avoid pain meds?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 7:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Read a few books. You can read a HYpno birthing book, as well as "Birthing from Within". Dr. Sears, "the birth book" is also a great read.

Find an image to focus on, such as a mandala. You can use that as your focal point. Utilize birthing balls, bathtubs, showers, etc.

Stay home as long as possible, don't go to the hospital too early or you could easily get bullied into interventions. DO NOT allow continuous fetal monitoring, or more than 1 vaginal exam (I don't do any exams, but if you want one limit it). Join a natural birth group here. Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth is great and you can get lots more help. 1000 characters isn't enough to go into it all! haha!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had a UC with my first last summer. Until I was 3 months pregnant I was 111110% sure I was going to have some form of pain relief. When I was in hard labor, I mean at the point where I would have definitely requested an epidural, I just had to remind myself I could do it. I remember telling my husband "I can't do this, I can't do this" then suddenly switching to "I AM doing this, I AM doing this!" Bottom line, if you don't want an epidural then don't get one. It will test your will power completely and you will doubt your abilities every step of the way. You have to trust yourself and remind yourself that this is how women have given birth for thousands of years. You CAN do it, and you WILL do it. Make it your mantra! :o) By the way, by the time I got to the point where I thought I needed one, my son was born within 1/2 an hour. If you can just wait out that part - the worst part- then you can do it. You're 99% of the way.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 7:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• read Ina May gaskins Guide to childbirth.. AMAZING. That book helped me alot!
    Find a class in your area for natural birthing (usually NOT in your hospital!) Make sure who ever is in your room with you supports your desicion & will advocate for you! The first hint to you saying you want pain relief those nurses wont think twice about it. also put it in a birth plan. also make sure to let people know u dont want ANY pain meds. I ended up getting demerol-- which can effect your baby! I was so ticked after giving labor that i recieved it!
    Educate yourself! Its the best thing you can do. Learn everything you can about birth! Knowledge is power right? lol. Its very interesting to read how other cultures view birth. alot better than america
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009