what are the restriction for dress for muslim men? why so many for women?

why is it that there are so many restriction for muslim women dressing modestly yet there isn't that many for men? i believe (if i'm incorrect plz tell me)
men have to cover from navel to knees but they are allowed to swim w/shorts while women have to cover completely ect. i understand that covering is to protect women & to assure there is no temptation. yet isn't it tempting to a women to see a good looking man? i just don't understand the logic in it. shouldn't everyone be covered up completely so theres no temptation? why just women? sorry if this is offensive, didn't mean it that way i just get frustrated & am curious. thanx

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• MOST religions and/or cultures in the world have more restrictions for women than for men. Many cultures also believe that women are beneath men, and there can be a lot of abuse because of this.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The reasoning behind covering up (and to what degree) varies. The original reasoning for covering a woman was to protect her. This was not even a religious custom but one of the region. It works for two main purposes. 1) To protect the women from the elements (such as sunburn, sand ingestion through the mouth/nose, and to keep them cool in the heat) 2) Men from various tribes were known to steal brides/slaves. If you can not see the woman, then they have a lesser chance of being stolen (b/c the thief would not be able to know what "kind" of woman he was getting...health, age, beauty, etc)

The extremes to which some Middle Eastern countries go with the dress code is not directly related to the religion, but is used as a form of oppression. Many Muslim women cover all the way up, partially, or some not at all. Its based on personal preference.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• "MOST religions and/or cultures in the world have more restrictions for women than for men. Many cultures also believe that women are beneath men, and there can be a lot of abuse because of this"

ITA especially when it comes to Christianity and the bible. It is a major cause for mistreatment, sexism and abuse towards women.
    Anonymous

• Women are punished because men think with their dicks.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Mistreatment of Woman is because of Adam's sin. Alot of that kind of dress is bondage for some women.
    When Eve ate the fruit and told Adam he should have protected her and not eaten the fruit, instead he ate it. He forgot who he was and why he was created and made a bad choice... the knowledge of good and evil came in and so did sin.
    Now men many men do not protect their wives or their daughters and it is sad.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ozarkgirl3 - That was a great answer!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• TY jcsscfam5! I have friends that are Muslim, as well as my aunt, so I like to be informed.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well,I am a Christian naturalist and all that that implies so,no burka for me.The only reason I wear clothes is because the law says I have to.I think the human body is beautiful and not sexual.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 6:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009