what is an appropriate punishnment for a kindergartener when she gets a detention at school.

my darling, adorable, little girl and her friends shoved a sweater down the toilet at school, yes a sweater down the toilet. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lol i did the same thing in kindergarden only i stomped on a sweater in the mud.... my parents put me on time out and scolded me
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• OMG that is funny! Where was the teacher when this was happening?
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well it's not a terrible thing other than they could have damaged the toilet and/or the sweater. I would first ask her why she did it, whose idea it was, and does she really think that was a nice thing to do?

She's what 5? Its not too big of a deal, but she should def learn from this experience.. And perhaps have to help to do laundry for a week?
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 8:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• and yeah, it IS kinda funny.... *pictures kindergartners pondering how best to flush a sweater..*
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 8:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It is not in the least funny. What you do now will set the tone for later acting out at school. Was it probably spur of the moment and not intended to cause damage..of course not. The fact is though that is exactly what it is. She does the same thing in middle school or high school I guarantee suspension.
    If she were mine she would first be asked what hapened, whose idea. Then she would not be allowed to play with those kids. She would also lose privilegdes. TV and outside play for at least 2 days. If you don't send the message...she will get the message that it was no big deal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i think it was lunch time and the lunch helper was who caught the girls doing this.i also think that my daughter and the 2 other girls were encouraging the 3rd girl 2 actually put the sweater in the toilet, it kinda sounds like bullying but no one knows for sure(the girls aren't talking). also one of the girls seem 2 be my daughters partner in crime, i already dread this friendship
    pattisayshello

Answer by pattisayshello at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If she's already got detention then that's punishment enough in my book. I would definately sit her down and have a REAL discussion with her about respect for property and the consequences for when it's not being respected. Make sure it's in her head. I might think about taking away TV rights for a couple of days but I'm sure she'll get the point....it's embarrassing as an elementary student to get in trouble...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It IS kinda funny, but she is in no way no know that! We as parents can find something funny, even if it's not good behavior, we just don't let them know. I do think she needs punishment and talking to at home, detention is the schools disipline for her, she needs it at home. I agree with everyone else, you should ask her WHY they did it, and stuff, and ask her if she really thinks that was A GOOD CHOICE?? Ever since my kindergardener came home talking about good and bad choices(musta talked about it at school) asking him if he thinks something he's doing or did was a good choice or a bad choice helps. Makes him THINK about what it is he's doing more.
    And before everyone thinks this other girl is such a bad influence, find out if there is a problem at home, b/c when children act out like that, it's usually from something bad at home.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• yes, that is true, her friend might not be the influence at all. for all i know my daughter could have been the instigater, she has a very strong personality, and she has been acting out at home 2, getting physically violent with her older brother and such. nothing is different or changing at our house, i guess thats why i'm so distraught, cause i don't know why she is acting out or what 2 do about it
    pattisayshello

Answer by pattisayshello at 11:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Wow........who's sweater was it? Mabey have your daughter with your help write an apology letter to the school. What do they do with kindergarteners in detention? I think thats over the top but I guess its the school rules. I would also discourage the friendship of the partners in crime.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009