My son is 16 almost 17 months old, he is constetly taking his diaper off and I was wondering if there is someting I can do to stop him from doing that because i dont think hes ready for potty training yet.

tristinsmommy

Asked by tristinsmommy at 8:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds odd but several of my baby books suggest duct tape over the diaper tabs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Maybe he is trying to tell you that he IS ready for potty training.

Try it. Get a potty seat, show him how to use it. What can it hurt?

Don't get mad when he takes off his diaper, talk to him (yes, TALK to you 17 month old) and explain why his privates need to be kept private.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I put my DD's diaper on backwards. It was suggested to me by a friend with a son who had the same problem of the diaper removal. I'm told that boys may soak through more quickly because the thing that catches the urine is lower in the back than in the front and when reversed they can basically pee over it... did that make sense?
    unknwndreamer

Answer by unknwndreamer at 8:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would try pull-ups on him. He may then think that they are underwear. It helped with my boys. They quit taking their diapers off after that. Good Luck.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Sometimes when they start taking their diaper off that is a sign that they are ready to be potty trained. And honestly the sooner the better. Take him to the potty when he takes his diaper off and help him go. Maybe he just wants to be a big boy and doesn't want pee and poop in his pants.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 9:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• PUT A ONIES ON HIM A FRIEND DOES AND SHE SAYS IT WORKS
    momof2grls35

Answer by momof2grls35 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My child does the same thing and i dont think she's ready to potty train either, so i just make sure that she always has clothes on that she cant get out of. that works for me
    pyper_lou

Answer by pyper_lou at 11:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009