apartment living with newborn?

my SO and i are planning on moving into an apartment because he is currently living in a house with a roommate. has anyone ever had issues with apartment living with a newborn? lots of complaints from neighbors or was it fairly smooth? i've lived in apartments before, but not with a screaming child :) not sure what to expect here...

mamalinlin

Asked by mamalinlin at 8:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We lived in an apartment when Kaylee was first born, up until she was 8 months old.

We let the landlords know we were expecting, and then let them know when she was born, as well as the neighbors, and apologized in advance for any sleepless nights of screaming baby.

We informed the landlord in times of excessive screaming, such as teething.

We only had complaints from one neighbor, but since we had already spoken with the landlord, the landlord simply asked the tenant if she had ever lived with a teething baby, and she said no, and they told her to get over it.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'm about to endure that myself I would just let your landlord know hey I am going to have a newborn here mine are very much aware that one I am pregnant lol and due quite soon.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It shouldn't be bad my neighbors have a newborn and I hardly hear the baby, Even though I would prefer to hear the baby than them gettin it on ...LOL
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• we haven't rented yet..and i'm kind of scared they won't want to rent to us if i tell them!
    mamalinlin

Answer by mamalinlin at 8:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We were in an apartment when our oldest was born and until he was about 20 mths.

No issues, no complaints filed against us,etc. No one said anything besides how sweet he was,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If the walls are paper thin people might complain! I lived in one apartment and could hear the people next to me having sex every night. So not fun! It was an older building though with little insulation. Other apartments I lived in I never heard any of the neighbors.

Anonymous

• They can't discriminate over a baby that would be illegal,the one thing they do in the community I live at if you start off with a one bedroom and then have a baby they make you move into a 2 bedroom they did it to my niece and a few friends.
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Apartment with a baby, try an apartment with 3 crazy kids, I feel so bad for my neighbors, but what can you do
    Anonymous

• I had lived in an aprtmnt for the first twoyrs of my sons life and did not have a problem. My neighbors were nice, the only thing I had a problem with was that the washer and dryer were in the basement so I had to run and put a load in while he slept....When you are looking look for a place with a washer and dryer and all you would have to pay for is the heat and not the hot water. Also get a place on the firs floor so they baby can play on the patio if they have one. The place I live in now would be perfect for a couple like you...Full size washer and dryer, dishwasher, two bed two bath first floor patio, front porch with my own seperate entrance two br, two full size bath less than $850.00 I live in the country/burbs on the border of Maryland and Delaware the best place to live short of having my own home.....Built about 6-7yrs ago
    Shalaseia

Answer by Shalaseia at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It is no one's business if you have a baby, do not go telling anyone your business they might want to deny you for something else but the baby is the reason. Know your rights the neighbors will have to get over it....Good luck, best is to look for neighborhoods that have schools in them so you know the area is kid friendly...take care.....
    Shalaseia

Answer by Shalaseia at 8:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009