In relation to the epidural question: How much does the epi hurt when inserted?

The reason i ask is becuase some women i have spoken to have said A LOT of different things. Some say it hurt so much it was unbeleivable. Others say they didn't feel it. I'm just wondering how it was for those of you who had one.

I plan to have an epidural.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it's a matter of subjectivity. If you go in and get it when the contractions aren't that bad yet then it will most likely hurt a lot more. I had mine, as I mentioned in the other thread, after 60 hours of non stop contractions so I don't think I would have cared if the guy just came in and hit me over the head with a shovel...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I felt a slight pinch and that was it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• for me it felt like I had hit my funny bone really hard..just in my hip lol
    tatuchick4u2c

Answer by tatuchick4u2c at 8:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think it boils down to your own pain tolerance and when they choose to insert the needle - a few women at my workplace said that if they insert during a contraction, you feel it less since your body focuses on the greater pain.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I didn't feel much at all. I bit of pressure and a pinch and that was it. Of course I was just freaking out because I knew that a needle was going into my spine and I was pretty much just paralyzed with fear and trying not to pass out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I honestly don't even remember feeling it.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think I was given a local numbing medication before the needle was inserted. I can't remember clearly! I did still feel it and it did hurt but it was well worth it for me. : )
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• aahhh (the relief ahh not omg ahh) i woke up for it, and fell asleep again right after it. next thing i know its time to go...
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• BubNSoap - Lydocaine? My birth class instructor said it's used fairly often.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 8:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I must admit, these reponces have calmed me about my epidural.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009