Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about home owners insurance

Our toilet somehow got a crack in it this past weekend which flooded our den and hallway. We called the insurance company and the do not cover the source of the leak which is okay, we had to replace the toilet either way so I didnt care about that. My question is though, they sent out a carpet company to dry out the floors, and put tubes into our wall to dry out the backside of the vanity etc. We have a $500 deductable, does anyone know around how much the drying process costs? The fans (there are 4 of them, one with like 20 tubes hanging from it and stuck into our wall and one huge filtering system with like a timer and stuff) will have to be running for 48 hours to get it dry. The insurance people are going to relace the carpets but we are trying to figure out if we are even going to have over $500 worth of bills and if they are even going to have to pay for anything. I hope that made sense. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by MommyLovesLuke at 8:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • I am sure they are going to pay more. My moms automatic ice maker hose broke and flooded her kitchen and diningroom and she had quite a bit of money racked up in it. carpet isnt cheap we just got new carpet in our house, and the price went up with gas when it went up and didnt come back down, because the color is oil based so it cost more to make it. So i personally would think that you will be better off claiming it and paying the deductable.

    Answer by babymaddy at 9:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

  • As an insurance agent, I agree. Just the clean up process alone will probably cost the $500, and the carpet will be above and beyond that, so good call :)

    Answer by cass_pick at 8:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.