How old were your kids when you left them home alone?

How old were they when you left them alone for quick trips (i.e. 5 minutes or less... to the mailbox and back, etc)

How about a few hours?

What about anything in between?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on the child's maturity. I mean, I see nothing wrong with popping a baby in the crib, jumperoo, bouncer, or any secure places, and run outside to get the mail. The mailbox is usually only a few feets away.

I wouldn't leave them home alone for a few hours until they are 13 or 14. Most states have a law regarding the age children can be left home alone. I would look it up before considering leaving a child home alone. I don't think a child should be home alone for more than a hour or two until they are 15 or 16 at the least. Even then, it depends on how mature they are, and their personality/judgements.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• omg i was like..... 7? lol. 8 maybe
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i just started this year my son is 10..my friends make fun at me for still having a babysitter so long,but i think i'm right on time.
    mom231child8

Answer by mom231child8 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• yeah i think im waiting until my oldest is 12
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• To the mailbox, probably 2. I had to walk down the driveway about 20 feet. For a few hours, 11. He was 12 when I left him on occasion for work, when I didn't have anyone to stay with him. It all depends on the childs maturity and if they can stay calm in an emergency, know what to do in an emergency or know what to do or say if someone comes to the door or calls.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 10 and about a month ago she missed the bus and I wasn't able to leave work so she stayed home by herself but I called her every 30 minutes to check up on her.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• A few mins....2
    A few hours....10
    All day....12-13

Might differ as all kids are different and my son is only 2 so I really can't say.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have one of those community mailboxes that is a few blocks away, but I usually wait until the kids are napping and then go get the mail. I walk, so I would say I'm gone a good 15 minutes, but i'm not far so it doesn't bother me. My oldest is just now turning 3 and he's too young to be home alone if I actually go to the gas station or some kind of car trip. Even if it's right up the street to pick up daddy from work, I take him with.

I think around 7 or 8 I'd feel better about leaving them for short periods of time- like less then an hour... then around 10 a few hours, and the rest is up to their behavior! If they fight a lot, or get into trouble, it'll really depend on that kind of stuff. I wouldn't be dumb enough to leave my kids home alone all day if I knew they were prone to parties, drinking, girlfriends, breaking the rules, fist fights, etc. lol. But it all depends.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009