Buying a new house, and two builders in the same area what do you think?

My hubby and i are going to be buying a new house, and we know where. The development where they are being built there are two builders not working together. One is a well known builder, and the other is an up and coming builder in the area. ? is...both houses are almost the same, but one is 200 sq ft bigger and comes with a one car garage. They are the SAME price, and both brand new. I talked to the smaller one today and they are willing to pay $5k towards closing as is the bigger one, but the smaller one also told me they would help with seller consesion up to 3%. I am talking to the other builder tomorrow, how do you feel about me "playing" them against each other? Like telling the bigger one that the other builder is going to give 5% consessions will they atleast match? and what else can i try? either way we will be getting a house it just depends bigger or smaller. Thanks

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 9:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I agree.. I would be honest with what I say.. but remember you don't have to tell them everything. Just make sure you speak the truth. They will compete against each other. When all offers are on the table make your desision then. You also don't want your builder to be ticked at you. Sort of like insulting your hairdresser while she's cutting your hair. Just not a good idea.

Mommy2Tamara

Answer by Mommy2Tamara at 12:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• And if they find out you lied to get a better deal, they might take all deals off the table. Chances are, they talk. Especially if they're building in the same development.
    Anonymous

• This is true! I was not thinking this way! So thanks! All i see is what they see...a house and $$$$$$ signs! I want the best bang for my buck! With a little more room. But i know you cant have your cake and eat it too...
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 3:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• yeah I wouldn't lie. Just tell the other one the truth about it beinb 3% and see what they say about it.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009