How do I wean my 12 month off of formual, on to regular milk?

Ok, so I was told to ask his doctor, but our appointment got canceled without notice, the supervisor nor doctors have been calling me back for 2 days and our insurance got canceled......SOOOOOO...LOL! How do I start weaning him onto the whole milk from the formula??

JacobsMommy319

Asked by JacobsMommy319 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just slowly replaced the formula with more of the milk until he was drinking only milk.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• There's no harm in doing it cold turkey. My daughter seemed not to notice the difference.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Cold turkey is the best way that helped me. I also got rid of all the bottles while I decided to change to milk. Its different for the baby, but if you dont have the bottles or the formula, they have no choice but to drink the regular milk in a sippy cup.
    pyper_lou

Answer by pyper_lou at 11:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Most of the formulas are making a "next stage" formula. It's supposed to get them ready for milk. I bought it, used it for a couple months. I think our next baby I'll just switch straight over to milk. I personally think it's just a way for the formula companys to keep you hooked longer.

When I started in with whole milk, I'd do half formula, half milk throughout the day. Then I started doing the whole milk during the day, but still giving him the half and half mix before bedtime. Finally I just went with the milk, he never objected.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• giving him cows milk cold turkey is quick and easy sometimes they'll be cranky until they get used to it going through their system and can actually tolerate it. the stools will change again, hard orsoft green or brown but ifithas blood oris mucusy call the doctor. might be an allergy or just needs less milk a day. at least 3 cups a day. no more than that. cows milk is strong for a 12 month old yet too much cow milk can ruin the intestents.
    meximama195

Answer by meximama195 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I just gave my son milk with a little water since it was a lot for his tummy. He took it just fine after that.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• replace on bottle a day with milk thats what i did. At my class at WIC they told us to start doing that at 11 mons so now he is on milk and off formula! it was so easy!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think the Next Stage formula is just a way to sell more formula. Our doc said there was no value in it and that it didn't really have any effect on transitioning. I would at least try going straight to milk, it may turn out to be a non-issue as it was for us.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009