Why do they say now to not start solids till 6 months?

I have a 3 1/2 month old baby and with my older daughter I started her on solids at 4 months, but all over Cafemom I'm hearing about not starting babies on solids till 6 months or a year. I will be approaching her doctor at her 4 month appointment, I am just wondering why everyone says wit now?

faerymommie

Asked by faerymommie at 9:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• their little tummies can't handle it. but I started all my children around 5 mos..
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• mine was 5...some don't until theyre over a year...do what you feel is best.. just give her something very bland and I wouldn't do rice or oatmeal...its constipating...i started mine on avocados.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• 4-6 months is a guideline. The longer you wait, the more there digetive system has to mature. Really it depends on the baby though. My daughter started at 3 1/2 months. I wanted to wait longer but she didn't.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 9:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Formula fed babies need solids earlier than breast fed babies. Breast milk gives babies everything they need for their 1st year. Since you are primarily breast feeding, you can wait as long as you'd like. Listen to your LO's cues. You can start solids any time after 4 mo, but the longer you wait, the more ready your baby's digestive system will be to handle it.
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't know a baby's physiology well enough to tell you why solids aren't introduced until 4-6 months of age, but 4-6 months old is the standard time to start.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 9:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I believe it's because pediatricians are now seeing that their little tummies just aren't as ready as previously thought. Some are even suggesting against cereal because there is little nutritional value and can teach a child to over eat. (apparently it can expand in the tummy causing it to stretch??)
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• What they said. But I have a question....Why are some mothers in such a rush to start them BEFORE six months? I'm not bashing, just curious. I mean, why the rush?
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• While breastmilk is best, it doesn't give babies the iron their bodies need starting at 6 months. That is why most peds say to start iron rich cereals at 6 months. Only about .15 millagrams of iron per liter is passed to baby through breastmilk and formula.

"Also, babies should be able to sit up and turn their heads away. That way, Schanler explains, they can communicate that they're not ready for the next spoonful or just not hungry anymore....The biggest concern with feeding solids too early is that the solids will replace breast milk or formula in the baby's diet. "Solids vary nutritionally depending on the food," says Schanler. "None of them is as complete as formula or breast milk. You don't want to rob the baby of milk."
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I've heard 6 months but i bf, don't know about formula fed babies. i ebf my son till 6 months. and am doing the same with this baby. GL.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• They are always changing it, in a couple of years they will probably say wait until they are a year old. All of mine were on cereal by 1 month old. Don't worry about what anyone else does, talk to your pediatrician and do what you feel is best for your child.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009