• In the Spotlight:

I keep getting clogged milk ducts. I just don't get it. They are very painful. I to the point that I wanna stop breast feeding so the pain will stop. Is there any reason why this keeps happening? I've been EBF for 9wks.

Lenore0708

Asked by Lenore0708 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a lots of problems with this when I had my son. Try warm compresses on your breasts prior to nursing. Also, massaging your breasts while in the shower under the hot water helps a TON! (hurts like hell, but it does relieve the pressure) Make sure the you nurse often and if you need to, pump in between, also nurse the baby in different positions so that they are not latching on at the same point every time.

If you stop nursing at this point it will only make the pain a lot worse! Keep at it and good luck.
    Anonymous

• have you tried putting warm compresses on them before you feed/pump? maybe you are getting engorged?? I used to take 2 newborn diapers and soak them with hot water and then hold them on my breasts for 5 minutes and it was very soothing. good luck and don't give up:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• One week I got them like every day, and I realized it was this new bra I got. Any chance that is happening to you?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• if might be your bra, I wore a push up bra, after my third baby and this totally caused plugged ducts with me, all I wanted was to flatter my figure since I was feeling kinda dumpy.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 9:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• sometimes if there is too much time between nursing, I get engorged, or if I have banged them, I haven't had any trouble this last baby, I'm working off memories.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 9:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You might be getting engorged. Give your baby lots of opportunities to suck. Make sure the breasts are completely draining every 3-4 hours. If the baby eats and the breasts aren't empty then pump so they fully drain. You can also rub the area that hurts when the baby is nursing. That seemed to help me. If those things don't work I would definitely contact the lactation consultant from the hospital where you delivered. They are always very helpful. I would get their advice before deciding to stop nursing.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Like PP said, try some warm compresses prior to feeding. Go braless for a day or two if you can to see if your bra is causing it. After your babe has had it's fill, pump out the rest.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 10:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Use a heating pad after you nurse to make sure and help clear out the ducts.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• make sure your breasts are completely empty after a feeding. I always pump out what the baby doesn't finish and also massage the ducts to get it ALL out. The was my doctor's advice to me and -knock on wood- I've been w/o a clogged duct since then~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2009