What are some ideas to add color to the walls when you are not allowed to paint?

I'm a Marine wife stationed in Yuma, AZ and I live in base housing. I absolutely LOVE to decorate but feel a little stumped by not being able to paint or put up wallpaper.

marinewife26

Asked by marinewife26 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Drapes at a ton of color! And large pieces of art! You can even make your own. Cheap, easy, and tasteful.
    LuccasMommy

Answer by LuccasMommy at 9:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Curtains...maybe you could do fabric on one wall of a room...I've seen on trading spaces where they have tacked it along the wall at the ceiling and let it drape down. I'm not creative enough to pull it off. Wall hangings?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i got a country living mag. and cut out pictures that i thought we cool and colorful and put them in a frame, i made some collages ( if thats how its spelled) and some singles. i also had this picture frame that had really awesome black and white flower pics in it and i cut some flower pics out of the mag that were colorful and added then in certaing places....they look awesome. everyone loves them.
    Anonymous

• Put fabric on the walls with liquid starch. It comes off when you spray it with clear warm water and doesn't harm the finish on the walls or anything like that. Use a paint roller to apply liquid starch (NOT spray starch) to the wall. Smooth the fabric on like wallpaper matching the pattern where and if necessary. If you put it on clean walls, the walls will still be clean and unmarked when you remove it, and you won't have to repaint to get your deposit back. If you can sew a couple of straight lines, you can make matching or coordinating curtains, tablecloth, napkins, whatever.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I found at the dollar store TONS of wall stickers. I covered DDs walls with some neon pink, purple, and green hippy flowers! I also got her neon green sheer curtains and it brightened up her room tons (also live in post housing) Lots of color and fun!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yeah I'd use fabric on the walls. Plus some art work. Its an easy fix.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• large art, a tapestry.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 8:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If you have a large blank wall get a "sofa picture", one of those really huge, (well wide but only abour 2 1/2 ' tall) paintings. Have pictures of everybody in the family or a family portrait blown up large and hang those. There are places that will make your regular photo into a poster size picture, frame and hang on the walls. If base housing is like it used to be, you can't put any holes in the walls, or you have to fix them to pass inspection when you move out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You can buy fabric panels, they are different than yardages of fabric because they are more like a large picture. If you aren't very crafty, you can take a secong piece of fabric the same size and sew them together with the printed sides facing leaving a hole to turn it. Turn it right side out and then finish the hole you left to turn. You can sew a pretty ribbon to each top corner and tie them in a bow at the center and use it to hang it on the wall. Of course, if you are more crafty, you can add a border to the panel and use buttons to secure the ribbon to the top corners and get more elaborate. I am redecorating my daughter's room (and can't paint) and we just bought some pretty curtains with rods with decorative finnials. I have some fabrics I intend to make bedding and wallhangings from to decorate her bed and walls.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 8:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Lowes has these things called Wall Pops....you can google them and see what they look like.
    mykidzmom-1

Answer by mykidzmom-1 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2009