My almost 10month old hits his head ALL the time? Do all those bumps add up? Do all babies fall down or am I an awful mother?

He is just learning how pull up on furniture, stand by himself and has even taken steps alone. He falls down A LOT and hits his head. I feel so bad and I try to prevent this, but most of the times I can't. Am i not careful enough or what? Is he going to be damaged from this? I have hardwood floors and I'm scared he's going to really hurt his head. Do other babies fall a lot or am I an awful mother?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My mom tells me she used to be afraid to take me in the store b/c of all the bumps and bruises on my head. apparently I just liked to run into walls. i have tile floors so i know what you mean. I don't know what im gonna do. just tape pillows to her:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No, this sounds about par for the course... Do what you can to "baby proof" but there is no 100% when it comes to baby proof. I guess we all survived those months... Skulls are thick.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yeah, I have hardwood floors too. My daughter has many falls, but she is learning to "catch" herself and doesn't hit hard anymore. It doesn't really worry me anymore, because she doesn't even cry, so I am sure its not too bad. There aren't any bumps or bruises or anything... I am pretty sure that bumps are to be expected. Good luck :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Trust me, babies fall A LOT! It doesn't mean you are a bad mother in any way.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• What everyone else said. Dido for me
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I feel the same way. I freak out every time my DD falls and bumps her head. I feel like a bad mom. But, luckily she laughs every time she does it, so that makes me feel better.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You are not a bad mom, this is completely normal, one of my daughter's had a black eye for almost her first year of life and my son had 4 sets of stitches in his head by the time he was 2.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Learning to walk hurts. That's just the way it is, lol. I actually got that from my MIL. My son fell while trying to walk when we were at her house (he had been walking for less than a week), and that's what she said. And my barely one year old son looked up at her with big puppy eyes like he understood every word.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My mother told me I walked around with a giant bump on my head till I was 2. Its perfectly normal for babies fall.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009