• In the Spotlight:

When?

When did you let your baby feed themselves. As in not holding them, they drink from the bottle while in the crib or where ever they are... My daughter can obviously hold the bottle (shes almost 11 months), but I have heard its not good to let them drink while lying on their backs (ear infection risk)... Anyhow when should she give herself a bottle?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 9:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sitting in a swing or propped up on a pillow on the floor
    Reshel

Answer by Reshel at 9:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You can do it now, but I wouldn't get into the habit of giving a bottle in the crib. Horrible for their teeth. And a really tough habit to break, I have heard.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's really hard for an adult to drink something while lying down so I wouldn't inflict that kind of discomfort on your daughter.

Sorry, can't help you with your other questions.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 9:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• we started letting our kids feed themsleves where ever they were as soon as they wanted too. However, they were never laying flat. We even had their beds inclined about 35 or 40 degrees to keep fluid out of their ears. We would incline the bed/crib whenever they got a stuffy nose to prevent the ear infections also, and then just left it inclined because they seemed to sleep just fine and we got tired of putting it up and down.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My 11 mo old has been feeding himself, holding his own bottle for about four months now (first two months of that he only got one bottle a day and the rest I BF). We put him on his boppy pillow so he is inclined. I have never been one to give a bottle to my kids and let them walk around or go to bed with it and the only thing they got in their bottles was formula or BM. Water was always given in a sippy cup and they rarely get juice. None of our three kids ever got ear infections.

Oh, and before any other posters jump on my for this saying I'm lazy or don't care...STUFF IT! You don't know what my life is like and what works for my kids.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If she's really good at holding her own bottle, it may be a good time to start offering a cup. Don't give a bottle while in her crib. The formula will sit in her mouth and can cause tooth decay - plus like a PP said, it's a horrible habit to break. Set her in a high chair or in a play chair and hand her a sippy (or a regular cup if you are right there to supervise) When she still wants the bottle, hold her while she has it but let her hold it while sitting up.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• as soon as my daughter could hold her own bottle i let her but she was always in her boppy pillow or had in her walker or exersaucer..
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 11:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I let him as soon at he could hold it at 6 months. I don't like letting him lay on his back though. I usually have him propped up in a chair or something.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009