Is it safe for me to keep carrying my baby if i have diabetes?

Im 17 i have diabetes and its under controll, but i still get issues with it, a while ago i was pregnant and i lost the baby cause of my diabetes and now the doc says the chances of me being able to cary it to full term are slim to none especially since i lost the first one cause of it, basically i was considering getting an abortin and my friend told me to come on this site to find out more and im trusting her so i any 1 has any advice or anythign it would be gretly apprecieated.

amanda414

Asked by amanda414 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You could carry a baby. Do you follow a strict diet for your diabetes? Do you exercise regularly? Both of these things greatly impact how your body can handle pregnancy. If you want to start a family please plan ahead of time. Give yourself time to work on your diet if you aren't already, and to get into a exercise routine. Many people can greatly reduce the effects of diabetes by doing this. It should give you a much better chance while pregnant.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 9:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It is possible, I would go to a high risk OB though just to be safe. I know the chance of miscarriage is slightly higher with diabetes, but to sy you cant carry is rediculous. Not to be mean but I hinestly think the Dr was playing off the fact that you are young and didnt want you to get pregnant again, but to scare you like that is just plain wrong. unless you have another medical comdition that goes with it too. It is very inportant though to take EXTRA good care of yourself, and get a Dr right away and demand to be refered to a high risk Dr, dont let them tell you know, you need a Dr that knows more abou tit than just a regular OB. Good luck hon. There could be a million and 1 reasons why you lost the last baby and it may or may not have had to do with the diabetes and for him to say for sure that it was is just wrong.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• As long as you take care of yourself, many women get Gestational Diabetes. My MIL had Diabetes with her last baby, and he was born healthy as a horse.
    A friend of the family has it, and she's carrying just fine. Just take care of yourself, ask your OB for reccomendations of diet choices. stay away from sweets. some women the pregnancy will make it worse.
    I am in no way an OB but those are my suggestions. Just talk to your OB. Don't get stressed if you lose this one. You're only 17. You have PLENTY of time to have kids. Be a kid yourself first. This is coming from a woman that had her first at 19. Go to school. Don't worry and stress, it will make it worse.
    I wish the best for you.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 9:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes you can carry. Find another doctor. You may have to be deliverd early but there is not a reason to have an abortion. I think you should do some research about abortion first. How far along are you?
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• get to a HIGH RISK OB and run as far away from the quack you are seeing as you can. he may be being biased because of your age. lots of people have babies even with diabetes!! here is a link with some info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-and-diabetes/DA00042

http://www.diabetes.org/gestational-diabetes/pregancy.jsp

http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/pregnancy/

check them out and make sure you find a dr. who knows you have diabetes:) good luck and a happy and healthy 9 months to you hun!
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 10:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It is HIGHLY dangerous for women with Type 1 Diabetes to get pregnant! My best friend's daughter has Type 1 and has been advised that she should absolutely not carry a baby. PLEASE listen to your doctor. Gestational Diabetes and Type 1 are NOT the same!

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 10:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• it is an EXTREMELY personal decision and i think you should get another opinion from at the very least one more doctor before making any decisions. i know a mom here at cafemom who is diabetic and about to have her second baby. make sure you get as much information as possible!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It is definately possible although I think it may be high risk. I know another mom on here that has Type 1 I will see if I can get her to answer you.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 3:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have type 1 diabetes and I carried my daughter fine. I really did not have any problems. The key is keeping your diabetes under control. You should see your endocrinologist more often so that they can help you adjust insulin levels and things like that. There is no reason why you can not carry your baby full term though! I know many diabetics who have healthy children. In fact one of my good friends who is diabetic is pregnant with her 6th child right now. Usually people who tell you that you can not have a child with diabetes are very uneducated about the disease. Type 1 diabetes especially. There was not much known about the disease until recently. 100yrs ago people died from diabetes and has not even heard of the disease. There have been so many advances in medicine now. You just need to check your blood sugars frequently and take care of yourself! :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• To the lady who said that people with type 1 should not get pregnant, thats so far from the truth.

To the OP....many women with type 1 diabetes get pregnant, carry the baby to term, and have healthy live babies every year. The main concern is going to be that you keep your blood glucose under control. I know that its tough to do that, especially at an age where your body is doing its own thing to begin with and now throw in pregnancy to boot. It can be tough. You need to see your endo, a good OB/GYN, and your dietician. They may modify your diet. If you are doing a carb count diet (ex 12g of carbs to 1u of insulin) then they may change that diet to a carb restricted diet (ex. 45g of carbs for breakfast, 30g carb mid-morning snack, etc). to try to better control your glucose. They may also change your insulin routine. If you are on MDI (multiple daily injection) therapy they may change your long acting insulin or adjust
    SusanD

Answer by SusanD at 11:51 PM on May. 18, 2009