Do I HAVE to follow the guidelines... or are they just guidelines??

My sons father wants to start getting him 3 days a week instead of 2 like we've been doing for over a month. He wants him Mon. Wed. and Saturday for the day.. Well, guidelines say 3 days a week and one of those days on a non work day for 10 hours... I can't afford to be driving 10 miles to their house and 10 miles back 3 times a week.. thats 60 miles a week.. and lots of money in gas... that i dont have. Can I just tell him he can have him on his wednesday and saturday or do I HAVE to let him have him his 3 days? afterall, I only have mon, wed, and friday off work and he wants him mon. wed. and saturday.. What do I do??

PLUS- his mom and dad are the ones picking our son up. and its usually his mom... its right on her way home from work- so she doesn't have to waste any gas.. its not even half a mile out of her way...
Its HIS responsibility- NOT HIS PARENTS...

Asked by shenae704 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say if he wants to see his son, then let him. But why are you paying for the gas. Make your DH use his car. Or perhaps suggest meeting halfway.

Answer by Katie911 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Its not my DH. We're not together. We do go half way.. his MOM picks him up, and I go get him. thats what guidelines say.. but 3 times a week for a one year old.. i think that its a little obscene... my son has no clue whats going on and gets this scared look on his face every time he has to leave with them.

Answer by shenae704 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would say that the gas is killing you and that he needs to bring your son all the way home from here on out.

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I mean if you have to drive him out there then he should have to bring him back home. Cause it's not him who's picking up your son it's his mother. If he wants to fight that then you can always bring up the fact that he isn't the one who is picking up your son.

Answer by cestlavie0921 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I went through the same thing your going through with my step daughter, and I will tell you like our lawyer and the judge told us, Its up to the coustodial parent who inforces the guidlines. we realy just didnt know from one week to the next if we would even have her because it was up to her mom to send her. We payed out the ass for the lawyer and court coast to be told that its truly up to the mother if the child was to come down or not. so the only addvice I can give you right now would be to tell him that you realy think that he is asking for to much time right now and that when hes older it would be better for the extra day.

Answer by 2prettybabys at 4:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2008