If drink water right before a home pregnancy test, can that effect the results to give me a false-negative?

I drank almost a full bottle of water before taking my home pregnancy test and it came up negative but I had unprotected sex almost 4 weeks to the present date and I have not had my period which normally comes at the end of the month and now here it is with only one day left before the new month...could my drinking the water have diluted my system and gave me a false-negative?

youngmommy077

Asked by youngmommy077 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• its very possible excess water will dilute the test, what the recommend is the first pee in the morning...but some women don't register on OTC tests, I took five of them and they all came back negative and had to go for a blood test that came back positive, it depends on your body, and frankly cheap tests aren't reliable and neither are the $30 ones...its all about your body, and stress does cause late periods...relax it may be that you don't have enough hormone in your urine for it to register...
    AbbysMom059

Answer by AbbysMom059 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• no... drinking water will not cause a false neg... but if you are unsure or you don't get your period in a week or so take another test... The dollar stores usually have them cheap.

If you're really stressed because you think you are prego... The stress can actually cause a late period. So calm down.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• no water drinking can make a flase alert  cause you have a baby

Anonymous

• it is possible....what the test is detecting is the hCG hormone, and drinking a lot of water can dillute the concentration of it. i think you may even find the info in the directions.
    i have taken one before and it even said it'd be better if you held your pee for 4 hours before you took the test or maybe even the first pee you take i the morning.
    good luck
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• take the test your first pee of the day
    JJzMaMa87

Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2008