Does anyone do engagement parties anymore? I've been invited to one... I don't know what is proper etiquette regarding gift; what shall I buy ...

I mean then comes the bridal shower & wedding. I didnt think people outside of the immediate family members were celebrating engagements these days. I thought it was more like an acknowledgement congratulatory kind of thing but ...? Anyone?

Bellafleurs

Asked by Bellafleurs at 10:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • Homestly I would buy just anice bottle of champagne or something along the celebration lines not quit yet ready to do the whole get ready for a house hold thing. Unless they are already living together and then skip the gift, but thats just me, some people finad any excuss to party. I really dont think you are obligated to bring anything unless you really feel the need. Maybe chip in with a few other people to make it less expensive if you do.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't believe a gift is required, but it is a very good gesture to bring one. Bring something that is appropriate for the couple or for the party. A nice bottle of wine or champagne is a good gift.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my mil threw one for my DH's extended step family. we were getting married about 1000 miles away so none of them were going to be able to get to the wedding. they just got us presents off our registry. i felt awkward the whole time cause i didnt know any of them & my DH barely knows them. i didnt care about he presents, just the party.

i would think that if you are going to the wedding & shower you dont need to bring a gift to this. we didnt get many presents at our wedding b/c most ppl gave us gifts at our shower. if anyone says anything to you about a gift, just say you were planning on giving your gift at the shower or wedding. if they have a problem w/ that they are greedy.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My cousin had one but I think its because she and her high school sweetheart had a very long engagement (6 years if I remember correctly) I guess as far as gift giving goes if the wedding is fairly soon I would just bring a card, if you dont want to feel awkward if others brought a gift buy a gift card for a place that you like (walmart or a nice resturaunt for instance) if you see a lot of other people bringing gifts just slip it in the card. If you dont just keep it and use it yourself. You could also just offer to bring a dish to pass or make the cake or something
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009