How far effaced were you when you went into labor?

Im just wondering because I thought you had to be 100% before you went into labor but now Im hearing much different percentages...

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 10:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was zero. I didn't start any effacing until I was in active labor. This happens quite often so don't freak out if you're 39 + weeks and still not effaced!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I can't tell you about myself because I had a UCHB, but my sister was 0% effaced and 2cm dilated the day before she went into labor. I know a woman who was 60% effaced weeks before going into labor. It really doesn't mean anything. I mean it wont tell you when you will go into labor, I think doctor's just check simply to know where you are.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• That's right... You won't know when its coming until it's coming... I have been 90% and dialated to a 3.5 for two weeks now. Yet my sister wsnt effaced or dialated until active labor, she actually went to the Dr. that morning Doc said everything looked good ,no signs of labor coming soon and 5 hours later she had a baby in her arms.
    jmeagan

Answer by jmeagan at 11:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I wanna say maybe 85-90%. I know when I went in at 37 weeks she said I was 85 then the next week I was only 80 so I don't know how that works and I didn't ask. But I had my son at 40 weeks exactly and I'm pretty sure I was around 90%. I know I wasn't 100 though.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I was 0% effaced and 0 cm dilated when I went to the hospital (at 41 weeks, 4 days). After 9 painful hours of being on pitocen, I was STILL nothing.
    They put the cervidil in and gave me a sleeping pill for the night... And in the morning, I was 1 cm dilated and still, 0% effaced. My child loved my womb, I think she had plans to stay forever!
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 11:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• well with my first im not sure, my water broke sunday morning andi didnt have him till monday afternoon.but with my daughter i was dialated 1 for two weeks and then three and sent in to be induced at 8 am and gave birth after 11 am same day. cant remember how efface it was
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 11:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009