I know that the Boy Scouts have a firm stance against homosexuality, but does anyone know if the same is true for the Girl Scouts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would have to think so since it is more of a Christian organization.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If the boyscouts have such a firm stance against it then why are there so many cases of sexual abuse towards the boy scouts? Just because they say something doesn't mean a creep wont' slip through the cracks.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No. Girl Scouts do not have such a stance. Worked for GS for years! Happy to say they are not discriminatory.
    Anonymous

• http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/167/context/archive

Hope this helps answer your question.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Actually, Girl Scouts does not discriminate against anyone based on sexual orientation but anyone, regardless of sexual orientation, must adhere to the organization's guidelines and that includes obtaining parent permission when discussing issues pertaining to sexuality. The organization does not ask about sexual orientation and they don't discriminate against anyone wanting to help. All adults wanting to volunteer must pass a background check to ensure safety of the girls, but that has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Good to know I will not allow my daughter to participate in GIrl Scouts. My son is a Boy Scout my husband a troop leader and we are so glad it is a Christian Organization. There are some bad seeds but far less than in the secular world.
    Anonymous

• Wow anon :21, that's your choice but your daughter will miss out on a lot of great experiences. You can find Christian based troops through parochial schools that teach their religious beliefs and also use the core values of Girl Scouting to teach the girls real skills they can use later in life. Like how to plan cookies sales, how to budget the money and many other things. Plus Girl Scout camps are awesome. My girls have been taught respect for the flag and how to conduct a flag ceremony. They have learned team work and how to problem solve. But that's your choice I suppose if you want to be closed minded.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• anime, thank you for the wonderful information. So many are missing out on wonderful opportunities through the Girl Scouts based on such a closed minded choice. That is there choice however.

I loved being in Girl Scouts. Went all the way up through the Seniors and Earned the Gold Award. THAT got me a scholarship for college! $500 per semester at the time, $1000 for the year. Every little bit helps!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If you don't want to have your daughter in Girl Scouts, may I suggest Campfire Kids? Most of the basic programs are the same, with a little less emphasis on the Christian God. Not emphasis AWAY from it you understand.
    Anonymous

__________________________
    homosexual =/= pedophile
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009