Drug testing

Do you think that people getting goverment assistance should get drug tested why or why not??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no because that would take even more of the tax payers money. plus drug tests dont guarantee that a person isnt ever using drugs
    Anonymous

• certain drugs are out of your system within 24 hours so im going to agree w anon 8:05
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think for certain types of assistance if drug use is suspected they should be allowed to be done, unemployment for instance. If you fail a drug test you cant recieve unemployment. But anonymous brings up a good point, it might be more expensive in the long run, I do feel government assistance is often abused by people who just dont feel the need to rise above their circumstances. Being on medicaid is fine but having another child so you can continue your family coverage isnt right.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No, but I don't believe that ANYONE should be forcibly drug tested. Especially in this scenario though. It would waste thousands upon thousands of dollars, use up more employee time in an already dangerously understaffed industry, and serve no purpose. Food stamps, just for example. If a mom is smoking crack then does that mean her kids don't deserve to eat? You can't buy crack with foodstamps, maybe without them the children would have nothing to eat at all.

If it's about cost, then beyond drug testing you would have to make sure the person wasn't wasting their money on anything else, which is essentially impossible. To me someone on assistance who spends $20 on a bag of pot is no different than someone on assistance who spends $20 on movies from Blockbuster. They're both unnecessary spending and one should not be prosecuted and held against someone anymore than the other.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Unemployment benefits is not welfare! I don't think it is a bad idea for those getting health insurance after all drugs are unhealthy...but so is smoking and look at all the people who do. The whole bag of pot thing versus movie rentals...kind of silly sorry. For that matter, I think people need some fun regardless of income...I mean come on, they have little money, people want to ride high horses and tell them what they can and cannot buy with food stamps, they don't have great homes in nice neighborhoods with good schools. I won't begrudge them a damn movie rental. What is the point of putting your feet on the floor in the morning if life has to totally suck every minute of every day.
    Anonymous

• yes 100%...random tests!! i can almost promise you there would be soooo many more less people on gov. ass.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• aura....no you can't buy crack with foodstamps, but do you live under a rock?? i grew up in the "ghettos" and crack heads were ALWAYS "selling" their foodstamps for crack..
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No I don't live under a rock, but thanks for asking. Are you currently in the system? I have no clue how old you are, I'd guess 20s from your avatar...a lot has changed in 20 years.

And being so excited about there being soo many less people in the system? So really...smoking a joint makes someone a bad person who is now less deserving of help than someone who sits at home with a glass of wine and an Ambien? Absurd.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• uh no, i am not in the system, i am a tax payer and my husbands proudly serves this country but i did grow up on it with a drug addict mother if you must know!! smoking a joint and crack are not the same thing...but at the same time, if they can smoke their drugs, then they dont need gov. ass.

and drinking wine is legal, and i am willing to bet if you are drinking a glass of wine you are not on ass. and newsflash THATS LEGAL
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• LOL. Like no one who is in the system could possibly be a tax-payer. Have you ever heard of the working poor?

I'm not on assistance, nor am I drinking wine. I believe you missed my points entirely. Although I do think it's pathetically sad that in our country a drug that yields eating too many cookies as its worst result is illegal while a drug that leads to thousands being killed, raped, dying in car accidents, etc. is legal. It's not about common sense though, it's about money.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009