What's the best way to get dirty white sox clean without scrubbing by hand?

I'm talking the kind of dirty socks get when they have been walked on outside...on wet grass then in the dirt! I've always soaked all my whites overnight in hot water with detergent and bleach and they stay really white. But recently my boys have started walking in their socks at home all the time even when they go outside and now I have almost a whole load of dingy socks!

ericadrian

Asked by ericadrian at 11:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have heard that vinegar or hydrogen peroxide are wonderful non-caustic chlorine bleach alternatives, and both super cheap that you can get at the grocery store. Add a swig around your wash basin along with warm water and your detergent. For super stubborn stains you might want to add the peroxide right onto the socks and let them sit for a few minutes before throwing them in the washing machine
    Good luck!
    Amy Nichols
    Mommy of a 5,4, & 2 y/o
    Work At Home United
    www.enriched1.com
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 1:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Oxyclean

or

Bleach

kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 11:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I use Tide with Bleach. I think it works the best.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• What I learned to do for my kids, buy cheap and toss them when they can't get any cleaner. Check the dollar store---you can get a 6 pack! Then just throw them away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I use oxyclean powder, not the spray on my daughters things. Its the only thing that get close to getting stains out. I don't use bleach on my clothes because it eventually makes fabric turn yellow and fall apart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009