normal or not?

Ok i dont want to be an paronoid first time mama but i feel like i cant quiet catch my breath. I am a little lightheaded with sharp pains in my adomin. Im only 16 weeks. Anyone been there or know what it might be?

KJ_on

Asked by KJ_on at 11:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• "Early in pregnancy, increased levels of the hormone progesterone cause you to breathe more often. This can look and feel like shortness of breath. This hormone expands your lung capacity, allowing your blood to carry large quantities of oxygen to your baby."

From the march of dimes website
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Are you carrying high or is the baby stretching higher into your abdomen? It's DEFINATELY normal in the later months as baby gets larger. Are you contracting when you feel the pains?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• it might just be anxiety. do you feel like you have to keep taking deep breaths until you get a really deep one in only to have to again to get another deep one in? And you could be getting sharp pains in your abdomen if you do this because you're straining to get that deep breath.
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 11:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would call your doctor... there are so many things it could be. My daughter is about the same amount of weeks and she read that you can have menstrual type cramps during this time. But the lightheaded and short of breath could be several things such as low iron, low blood sugar or even allergy's. It would be best for your doctor to make the call and give you the appropriate treatment and/or medication. Since you are having both symptoms I would get it checked asap.
    There's nothing like peace of mind to give you a happy pregnancy.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had the same problems... it came out to be nothing. My dr even had my heart and lungs checked for abnormalities.
    Lightheaded or dizzy can be caused by dehydration. All of the problems I've had have been caused by dehydration. So drink up... water anyways. :)
    If you're still worried, call your dr. That's what they're there for.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2009