Non-chemical rug cleaners

My son is at the stage where he would rather roll around on the floor than cuddle :o(. I can no longer ignore my carpets, but I would love to avoid putting chemicals down that he will be rolling on. My house is wall to wall (to wall to wall to wall) carpet so whatever I use MUST work well. We also have 2 dogs - another reason for the carpets needing a cleaning and my desire for it to be non-chemical or at the very least PROVEN safe around kids and pets.

Lilbeamercomin

Asked by Lilbeamercomin at 11:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a THANE H2O mop and I absolutely LOVE IT! It is a steam cleaner that does carpets as well as hardwood and laminate flooring. Its ultralightweight (maybe 8 pounds) I got mine off ebay for $90 with free shipping. Read reviews on it its fabulous!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I forgot to mention it uses no chemicals, the water is boiled and turned into very hot steam and thats how it works just be careful not to step on the spot you just used it on for like 3 seconds because it is very hot if you step there but the carpet cools down within 5 seconds
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• How heavy duty is it? I mean these carpets haven't been cleaned in - well risking embarassment we'll just say a long time. I need something that gets the same results as like a Rug Doctor or Stanley Steamer (which wants 160.00 to do 5/11 rugs). There is only carpet in my house, including the bathrooms and kitchen and naturally those rugs are the worst. Not that he will be rolling around on the bathroom floor or anything, but I would still like them to be as clean as possible.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Vinegar and baking soda can work wonders. As far as pet stains go, Nature's Miracle is a pretty clean agent that still works wonders.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Its a pretty sweet machine. My carpets were in rough shape. You know how when you first get your carpet and when you vaccum it you see two different shades depending on which way teh gain is going but then over time it gets nappy and you dont get that anymore, well the H2O mop actually made my carpets look like new again I'll be honest for the first week I had it I steamed them everyday (sometimes twice a day, its actually fun to use) until the pads were coming up clean. Now I do it every three days or once a week, I too have a rolly polly carpet lover. You can also use cleaners like spot shot or something on tough to clean spots paired with the H2O mop stains are history!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Thank you so much!! Yes I know exactly what you are talking about and mine right now are some pretty nappy looking rugs! The high traffic areas are disturbing to say the least. I would probably do what you did and just clean doing them until the pad comes up clean. I don't expect every stain to go away, I just want the real dangers gone. I looked it up and I love how it talks about steam being a very effective way of killing carpet mites. Things like that are my big concern.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• There's one on Ebay for 50.00 buy it now!!! yay!!
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009