• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my 14 month old to understand the word "NO"!

She can understand when I tell her to go and get her juice, or pick up the toys. But when she hears the word "no" its like "yes" go ahead and do it, its okay.

pyper_lou

Asked by pyper_lou at 11:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL! My 17 month old understands "no", but he still doesn't listen most of the time. He'll even tell us no. He says "doh, doh, doh!" to me and his daddy all the time. His latest thing is to go unplug the cord to the laptop. He does it about 20 times every day. I tell him "no" ALL DAY.

Just keep telling her. You just have to have hope that one day they WILL listen. :)
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my 12month old understand no.. When i tell him no he stops. If i was you when she does something tell her no and take or away from it and she will understand not to do that.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'm sure she understands - she probably just doesn't appreciate the word "no". What are the consequences when she doesn't lisen to you? My daughter learned "no" very early on, because I wanted her to understand that "no" meant "NO" - not just for the simple things like messing with certain toys, but because she needs to listen to me.

When we are out at the grocery store and she wants to take off across the parking lot towards the car, I tell her "no" and she understands. If she didn't, she might take off anyway and that would be a nightmare!!!

All you need to do is associate a routine consequence for her disobedience - something like a smack on the hand or a 5 minute time-out. Then she'll learn association and she'll be more likely to understand!
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009