FREAKED OUT!!

Im 16 weeks pregnant and have a 21 month old. I have been around kids all my life and now im hearing that being around kids and kissing them or touching with out handwashing can cause CMV which is the most common cause of mental retardation and other horrible things. The infection doesnt really have symptoms but its easy to get while pregnant and give it the baby i hear! Now im freaked out about being around kids. I love my daughter and dont understand how i can kiss her or love on her without worrying!! PLZ Help, i have never really heard of this anyone else know anything?? Im not getting much off the internet...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i wish you luck in finding out.
    I have never heard of that though. . . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• if u u cant really find much on it that must mean it not very common and they dont really have any real answers. and the only common thing between these cases are children , but i think ur baby is going to harm ur baby, i kiss my kids so much while i was preggo to the point that i think they hate kisses lol. and when women first get pregnant they freak out about anything and everthing, its just gets us ready for mother hood
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 1:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• um cmv from my understanding from the drs at the hospital is a virus...along the lines of mono. I learned about it because my mother never got it when she was a child so was not able to take a liver from a person who had had it. There is another thing though that can cause serious illness in the mother and cause fetal damage or even kill the baby before birth called Fifth disease, i believe, its the reason why i stopped working with young children during my pregnancy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't think there is anything to worry about, really. I kiss and hug my toddler daily and go to the park.

Fifths disease is real and *could* be potentially fatal. The only problem with this is that a child could have it and display no symptoms of it for weeks then suddenly have the rash show up.. once the rash is there, they are no longer contagious, so it's really hard to avoid this in that situation.

Do you work in a daycare or something? Being around kids prior to pregnancy doesn't pose any danger at all, and just being around children wont cause issues. Being around sick kids could though.

good luck.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• childhood illnesses are usually contagious with a fever before the rash shows. Measles, mumps, chichenpox, rubella and fifths disease are all somehow similiar. But also all are dangerous to unborn babies.
    aqsgwama

Answer by aqsgwama at 1:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i agree, i don't think it's very common. when i was pregnant with my daughter i always kissed and hugged my son so i wouldn't worry about it. if your really that worried i would ask your doctor about and see what other ways you can prevent it and so on but my kids are fine so i wouldn't worry that much.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 3:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Never heard of it. I had 3 kids right in a row. When I was pregnant with my 3rd child I had a baby and a toddler at home and I was always hugging and kissing them and taking care of them when they were sick and no one ever said not to. I was just told to watch out for signs of things like 5th Disease (which none of my kids have ever had).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• that is a good question. I have been freaking out about things like that. I love this site ppl are so helpful
    tonya212288

Answer by tonya212288 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009