Flying in 8 days and need to know!

In 8 days I'm leaving for my first airplane trip ever. I've looked up everything I could pertaining to what I could pack, what should be in my carry-on, ect. But there is one question I really need answered. I know that they screen you very carefully when you go through security and that you have to go through metal detectors, but does it set it off if you're wearing bobby pins in your hair? I have to wear a hair piece because of a medical condition and it has metal clips sewn into it. I would be so embarrassed if they made me take it off to get through security. Does anyone know if it will be okay to wear?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't worry about it. Bobby pins don't set it off I know that for sure. In fact, a lot of times if you're going through security at a low-traffic time, they won't be to evil...lol. I've had plenty of times where they let my kids keep the juice in their sippies, or they just let me go on through with the stroller (instead of collapsing it, taking everything out, etc) as long as you have a smile on your face and a good attitude, they can be very accomodating. If for some reason they want you to take off your hair peice, you can ask to go behind the partitions they have for privacy.

I don't think you'll have a problem. No need to stress!!! The elderly go through all the time with prosthetic knees and all kinds of metal parts and peices!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It will probably set off the metal detectors. What they will do if that happens is take you to the side and wave a metal detector wand around your body. You can request a female officer to do this. When they wave the wand, it localizes the source of the metal that set off the alarm. You can inform her that you are wearing a hair piece that has metal clips in it. It will probably be quite obvious to her that what you are telling her is true. I truly doubt that you would have to take it off. You would never be asked to take it off before you go through security. I understand that this is worrying you, but going through security isn't a big deal, and they want to get people through as fast as possible. I hope that you have a great trip!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You may be able to even tell them when you check in so that you can bypass the metal detector and just be searched separately.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yes it may set off the the metal detectors, you best bet is to bring a note from your doctor so you don't have to take it off.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2009