how can i get my 18 month old to sleep in his own bed?

We lost our niece to SIDs almost four yrs ago. My fear and sadness were so great I waited to have my son. That day is still very vivid in my mind and still can't forgive myself for not being able to give proper CPR (having been trained may times) because of this my sons bed is in our room. Just about every night he gets up and ends-up in our bed with his feet by my face. I almost had it once, but then he started teething and I felt so bad for him I cuddle him to sleep. After that he got smart and he pulls at my heart strings. He cries Mama, Mami .... And looks at me with his big brown eyes he even grabs my hands so I can cradle him. I give in and kiss & hold until he falls asleep. What is the best and most age appropriate thing to do?

mo96

Asked by mo96 at 1:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would and do use the CIO method. There are other alternatives but they didnt work for us. And the CIO method may not work for you but it's what worked for us.. The SID's fear. I will tell you something I live by.. I'm a 19 yearold first time mom..not long after my son was born he refused to sleep on his back or side. So he was on his tummy. My OB told me this.. If you baby is ment to die of SID's they will no way to stop it or change it. It is pre-choosen and once it happens you cant change it.. So enjoy every smile,every laugh,every poopy diaper. You will drive yourself crazy if you dont. That helped me a lot. I know it sounds harsh but it helped. Besides your baby is old enough he/she should be out of the woods.. I agree you need sleep been there done that.. But if you dont like the idea of the CIO method or just dont want to use it there is a good book The no-cry sleep solution. It's really helpful. Hope this helpes
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• put a toddler ed in your room for him and when he gets on your bed love him kiss him and hug him. then put him back in his own bed.
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• OMG this is so me. The best advice came from my sister who was only 10 when my son was born. She said why dont you just wait until he falls asleep with you then put him in his bed. He would get up of course and I would wait for him to fall asleep and put him back. It took a couple of weeks but by the time it was over he was falling asleep in his bed and staying there.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have such an issue with co-sleeping...I don't think its healthy for us or our kids....you know what I'm talking about. There cute little hands touching your face or grabbing you for dear life as if the earth will stop if they don't hold on.LOL. The answer to your dilemma is just not easy, its going to pull at your heart strings because you are now breaking away from a comfortable situation. Maybe you should sitting with your baby until they fall asleep, read a story, say prays, make them feel safe enough to fall asleep in there own bed. I hope this helps you, sleep deprivation can't be any fun for you. Good Luck
    Ladyhardison

Answer by Ladyhardison at 10:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• thanks ladies,

i think i just needed to spell it out in my own words. I've been off-line because for the past few days I GOT SLEEP!!!!  I ran into a mom at the play area in the mall. as we got to talking about being out late with out kids on a week night. She told me her kids bed time was 7:30 pm, and then gave my some tips. i have been siting by his toddler bed and just putting him back when he gets up.

quiet

mo96

Answer by mo96 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2009