he's not listening! and it's driving me crazy!

my son used to listen very well. and now all of a sudden he's not listening to anything i say! i tell him no, he tells me no right back and keeps doing what he was doing. time outs arent working, and i even give him a little smack on the hand. i understand that every child goes through the "terrible twos" but he's almost 2 1/2 now. any advice?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My lil one is 1 1/2 yrs and he's been in the terrible 2s for 6 months. They know they're their own little person and want to try out their independence. What's been working for us is, constant redirection. You say no in a firm voice and then you remove him from the situation. It takes lots of time and patients but it works. He doesn't go up the stairs unless someone goes with him and my pans stay in the kitchen. Hope this helps.

mo96

Answer by mo96 at 2:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• lol my son started his terriable 2 the day he turned a year old. just be patient with him. dont give options. it is your way and thats it!!!!!
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My fiance's little brother who is about 4 has been in the terrible 2's for a couple years. I don't have any problems with him listening to me but he flat out disobeys his parents. His mom isnt consistent with discipline with him. Not saying your that way. From what I've learned kids that age are inserting their independence. I usually give my kiddo's a 1-2-3 warning and on 3 its time out or they can choose a toy(one of their favorites)that they arent allowed to have back for "awhile". Usually being a couple of hours. I guess the only key advice is be consistent. He will push and try to break you down but DO NOT let him.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 6:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• NO MATTER WHAT DON'T GIVE IN, IF YOU SAY NO AND TEN SECONDS LATER YOU GIVE IN CUZ HE'S CRYING HE'S ALWAYS GONNA CRY CUZ HE KNOWS IT MAKES YOU GIVE IN! I DO THIS MIGHT SOUND FUNNY BUT IF MY DAUGHTER DOESNT LISTEN I COUNT TO THREE AND IF SHE'S NOT BEHAVING BY THEN I GIVE HER A LIL PAT ON THE BUT AND TELL HER WHAT SHE DID WRONG AND MAKE HER SAY SHE'S SORRY , NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS SAY ONE AND SHE'S RUNNING TO ME SAYING SHE'S SORRY ....WORKS REALLY GOOD!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009