Any advice on potty training a head strong 3 year old boy?

My son seems afraid of the potty and the toilet. He always tells me after he goes pee-pee or poops, never before. We've talked to almost everyone and they all say be patient, he will go on his own time. His school needs him to be trained before the summer. Please help with any advice.

champain19

Asked by champain19 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i always hear from alot of people that u need to wait until the kids are ready to do it on their own. i dont agree on that, i started potty training a lil after my daughter turned 2 and it took her about a month to get it down and she doesnt wet the bed. she had a hard time pooping in the potty. i know that back in th day the ave of potty training was 18m and most were by the age 2, now the ave age is 3-4. i dont thik its wrong to potty train, i dont feel like i have issues with my mom for showing me at a young age
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 2:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It was easy with my daughter, but not with my son! Unfortunately, each kid is different. What finally got my son to begin to use the toilet was telling him he couldnt go somewhere that he wanted to go with his dad. He watched his dad drive away. That's all it took, he ran in and used the bathroom. But it was a long time before that that we had tried. Each kid is different. There are some good books on potty training for parents and kids...you might want to check them out.  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=14

momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We are just not finally getting my twins potty trained. We just had to put on the regular underwear and forgo diapers all together. They had a lot of accidents and they got sick and so we went back to diapers. This week we went back to underwear and it is night and day difference. They are going to the potty all the time, and have very few accidents. They still are not dry at night but we will get there. THe other problems we have had is my son not pooping in the potty but yet again we will get there.
    JessecaLynn

Answer by JessecaLynn at 12:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• What i did for my two boys is I bought a stool for them to use the big potty, put cheirooes in the toliet and tell them if they pee in their and dunk the cherrioes that for each one they got m&ms or some candy they really liked. I made a game out of it. It seemed to help. my youngest tried to eat the cherrioes at first..........yuck........lol. Pooping was easy after that.
    izzyandbuggsmom

Answer by izzyandbuggsmom at 7:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2009