My son won't stop crying!!!

He gets SO upset over the stupidest stuff... we send him to bed and he screams like he's being tortured. We turned the light on in his room all night (bc a nightlight wasn't cutting it) and daddy checks the room for monsters. We do a story, a prayer, everything we can to calm him... he freaks out.
It USED to be just at night, and it's progressing into like, everything. He wants juice, can't have it, so he bawls like he just got stabbed. It's ridiculous!! We tried to talk to him, we tried ignoring him, and short of spanking him (which seems sort of backwards... and wouldn't stop the crying) I just don't know what else to do!! He freaks out and my nerves are raw! I'm tired of listening to my three year old cry like he's 2 mos old!!
It all started in the last few weeks- no real changes in his lifestyle, nothing different or new in his diet.... idk. It just sprung up and I'm at my wits end!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 2:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have twin boys who are three,and they are doing the SAME thing!!! I have been going out of my mind!! Even when they get what they want, they just scream, and scream, cry and cry. They ask for cereal in the morning, I put the cereal bowl in front of him, in his fav. bowl, with his fav. spoon, and he'll fall the floor, tears and flying, and I start wanting to rip my hair out. Same thing with the night light and the bedroom light. They even want me to turn on the hallway light and the bathroom light!!! I don't get it. I wish I could answer your question, but I at least I feel better that my kids aren't the only ones who are going through this...stage. If that's what it is. My oldest never acted this way.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Oh I wanted to add that he doesn't STOP crying for HOURS. Litteraly. The other night we sent him to bed and shut his door... he tried to come out of his room several times but we made him stay in there and go to sleep... he wound up crying straight through until about 4 in the morning before he finally crashed... then slept till noon. Then he asked for milk and I said "just a minute" and he started in again- and it lasted another 45 minutes or so. Even AFTER I got him milk he was STILL CRYING!! He couldn't calm himself down!!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The only thing you can do if he's not hurt is ignore him every time He does it. Don't let him get his way or any thing he wants until he stops. He is testing boundaries to an extreme and needs to know it wont be tolerated. I know it's harder on you than him,but really it's all you can do. Let him cry. I'm sorry and I truly hope it get's better. My daughter did the same thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• He can either stop crying during the day or sit in time out until he's done. As far as bed time. Dont leave on the big light. Get a table lamp. Its softer lighting. He also may be having night terrors that scare him from going to sleep. You may want to talk to the dr about it.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son just turned 3 about a month ago and we have the same problem.. no so much crying at bedtime (but an even larger list of demands on how he want his night time routine).. But if he even suspects that you are going to tell him know for something he wants or even to wait a miniute he screams and starts crying and doesnt stop either.. I use the time out but honestly that has stopped being effective plus it seems like he is in time out ALL day... Im believe its an age thing he will grow out of it, (i hope) Something to do with finding his independance and seeing what he can controll, just choose a method and stay strong..
    good luck
    malissamom

Answer by malissamom at 8:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My Cece was extreme too.. We read together every night.. Well, if I'm not working late.. It helps..Sometimes I would read till she fell asleep. Maybe you can offer a sip of water or juice before he asks and tell him that's it for the night. And we have our best talks about everything.. the best time to get anything out of your kids about there day, their feelings about school, and just to be plain silly together is right before bed. Maybe if one night he happens to be good for you, let him know the next day and remind him how proud you are that he didn't cry and was really good.Praise him. Maybe take him to the dollar store and give him a prize.. Just don't make it a habit. He'll break it. Man ... she was a pistol.. I remember them days!
    sentimentallady

Answer by sentimentallady at 11:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2009