How do I tape a line down a wall and not have it bleed under the tape?

I have been painting lots lately and getting more advanced. I have taped some lines and decided that blue painters tape SUCKS! I have heard of putting the tape on the wall and then putting a bit of clear silicone down the edge of it so it wont bleed under onto the wall. Anyone try this? Any other methods?

ShaunaR

Asked by ShaunaR at 2:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Are the walls textured? If so your best bet would be to ask someone at the local Lowes or Home Depot. If you have a Sears or Sherwin Williams. Good luck
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• you have to remove the tape soon after painting, before it dries. if you wait too long it will bleed under.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 8:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Shauna, my dad has his own business and he has been painting for 20+ years. That is what he told us to do when we painted our house inside. It worked great in the areas that we did it.
    crbloom

Answer by crbloom at 9:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• HA, thanks Casey!--you must follow me! kidding =) I just dont want to try it on a clients house without knowing it was going to work. I have heard about applying something else to the entire wall if you are making stripes...I just dont know what or if it was under the tape or over the tape :) A lot of good that does me huh? I am going to practice on my mom's house hehe
    ShaunaR

Answer by ShaunaR at 12:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• What I learned from my friend who is a professional painter is you first paint the wall the main color, or the lighter of the two first. Then, you place your tape down. Use the same color that you just painted the walls with, and paint along the tape line, just slightly overlapping the tape and the wall. Let it dry. Take the other color that you plan on making the lines with and then paint as usual. The bleeding that usually occurs will not show because you used the original paint color. You will get a crisp clean line everytime.
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 1:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009