How do you fix a flat spot on a babies head?

She is 3 months old and has a comfort spot on the left side of her head. it has gotten so bad that that side of her head is now flat and higher up than the right side....won't sleep on the non-flat side.

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • All 3 of mine had this. Ask your ped to show you neck exercises for torticollis (sp??). They can start to prefer one side and the other muscles can get weak, leading them to prefer that side even more. For the exercises you just turn their heads to each side for about 30 seconds at each diaper change, but ask your ped to show you the proper way first.

Also, you can hold her so that the right side of her head lays on your arm more. No need for pressure other than her own head's weight :-)

These things worked for all 3 of mine. Good luck!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 11:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That's how my daughter is shes now 8 m old. It's starting to get better way better then when she was younger. I took her to a specialist they did xrays said shes fine. Said its up to me if i wanted to get a cranial band for her. You can look it up online but most insurances dont pay for it because it is considered cosmetic. It's around 1700 to 2 thousand dollars. I decided not to get it for my daughter not because of the money. But because of what the doc said he said if you put to kids together at the age of 5 who had the same problem when they were younger one who ot the band and one who didnt you wouldnt be able to tell the difference so it basically helps it round out quicker but doesnt make it perfect it will always be a bit flat on one said but her hair will cover it
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• prop her so she is tilted on the opposite side and doesnt have a choice to sleep on the flat side. when holding her hold her so she must look the other way just anytime she is laying prop her so she cant lay on the flat side.

seriously just keep doing it a girl i know her son had this problem where it got flat and up higher on his left side and he now has to wear a helmet. also show her pediatrician
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• with my daughter she was born that way because of the way she laid in my uterus
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2009