• In the Spotlight:

50/50

I have a question. My baby's dad and I have recently got back together after a 8 months split it which I packed my kids and my stuff and moved back to my home town. Well today he asked me to got o the court with him so we could sign to have 50/50 rights so I don't have the power to take his kids from him again (so he says).. but the circumstances were pretty bad, he hit me in front of them and I bailed. He is a good dad, and I don't wanna act like I have more rights than him, but should I be pissed that he asked, and should I even do it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WOAH. I hope you got it documented that he hit you. I'd take that to court so that he can't have 50/50. I don't care how great of a dad he is, he could very well hit your kids. (I was a kid in that situation once. Not fun.)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't think I could do it. My cousin went through the same thing with her ex husband and 2 days after she moved in with him he grabbed their son and was gone. It took her 3 weeks to find them and when she called the police to get him back they wouldn't help her. If he wants to work things out he shouldn't be thinking about the next time he should be making sure it never happens again..
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 3:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• well my sons dad wanted to go for child support and did not show up. so i got everything!!!! although i never tryed to keep my son from him
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. I've been in an abusive relationship. Personally, I think you're nuts for getting back with him, but that's based on my experience.

It started with him being rough with me....then the punch (and black eye)...the broken hand...the bruises on the neck from him trying to choke me....

It rarely gets better, it usually gets worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Don't go!!!!!
    Don't trust him too much!!!!
    Caution.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son was to young to remember me being hit and it was only once. If he hit you, then how do you know he would never do that to your child/children. When I left, my ex-husband was uninterested in seeing his son. My son was 6 months when I left and he's 3 1/2 now and although he is legally able to pick him up once every month, he doesn't. Every situation is different but my advice to you is to really sit down and think about your situation. When I first left I thought that my ex would never hurt my son and now that my son is older, I question whether I trust him or not. Don't be put in the same situation as me or all the other woment who stayed JUST because of their children because I was one of them and I regret it. I would not give him what he wanted at all or at least until he could prove to me that he would not hurt my children again.
    mamaraylene

Answer by mamaraylene at 8:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't do it. Abusive relationship or otherwise, I wouldn't. That puts you in the very awkward position of explaining to a judge later why you agreed to it then but don't now. Or worse, having to allow him to have your children that 50% of the time, after he's hit you in front of them again or is hitting them. If he abuses you, you need to be able to take the kids and go, for their safety and yours. I would not sign something that could get you into legal hot water later for trying to protect yourself and your kids. Also, like another mom said, I would be wondering why he is so worried about a "next time" that may or may not happen. It would tell me that maybe he hasn't changed and doesn't plan to, and is just looking for a way to trap you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009