IF you used a toddler bed, when did you switch to a twin bed?

My daughter just turned three. She's been in a toddler bed for a year, and I planned to keep her in it for awhile. BUT, she's been rolling out of it recently. I'm thinking maybe she needs a bigger bed. I'm looking at the Little Tikes Cottage Bed because it's low to the ground, easy to get in and out of, and just plain adorable!

I'm just wondering when other mommas made the switch.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 3:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My boys both went from crib to toddler bed around 1 and a half and from toddler bed to twin bed at about 4 for my oldest son and about 2 and a half for my second. We got them trundle beds with a pull out bed underneath so if they have friends spending the night( I know it's weird at such a young age but they have a lot of spend the night company) it is easier for everyone..
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 3:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I never used a toddler bed with my 3 children.
    When my second daughter was born, my oldest daughter (2 1/2 years old) went directly into her twin bed. I bought one of those mesh side rails to keep her from falling out and the other side of her bed was against the wall. She loved it!
    Of course, when my third daughter was born, my second daughter (age 2 1/2) had to move to her twin bed, too. We did the same thing for her with the side rail and she did just fine.
    All 3 girls did great when they went into twin beds. I think my youngest was about 3 before she went into her twin bed, though.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We went right to a twin bed, no toddler bed.

Their first bed was one of those captain's beds with the drawers underneath and just a mattress on top (no box spring needed).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My daughter was 3 when she got her big girl bed. Low to the ground with rails so she wouldnt fall out. My son was about 2 1/2 when he got his.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• As soon as my daughter started walking we switched her. She was almost 11 months. She has been in it ever since and absolutely LOVES it. We have a step 2 castle bed. =)
    lawson0103

Answer by lawson0103 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We went from crib to toddler bed about 18 months and from toddler bed to twin bed just before 4 year old. It was hi birthday present and we let him pick out his "Big Boy" sheets. The one we picked out was the kind with the drawers at the bottom so its lower to the ground and it gave us more storage room too!
    Tatertot3

Answer by Tatertot3 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My kids and grandson didn't use toddler beds. I just used a twin mattress on the floor until I felt they could get up and down of a twin that was on a bed frame. I'd say you could put them on a twin when your comfortable with them getting up and down without getting hurt. If you have wood floors, then you really need something low to the floor to start, i think.
    grammijudi

Answer by grammijudi at 8:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Only my son has a twin bed and went right from the crib into it. The older girls went from the crib to toddler beds (well for the middle one we converted the crib into a toddler bed). They used them until they were 6 and almost 4 (respectively) then we got them junior beds from Ikea. They are smaller then twin beds and a little bigger then a toddler bed. They are almost 9 and 6 1/2 now and have plenty of room to grow in them. They'll probably get twin beds when they are 12 or so.
    My youngest daughter went right from her pack-n-play (she never had a crib) to a junior bed at 23 months and, like the other girls, will use it until she is 12 or so.
    Oh, and my girls still had room in their toddler beds. We replaced them because the mattresses wore out before they outgrew them. I say use the toddler bed until they no longer fit in it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Two days ago! My son is soooo happy in his big boy bed. I got a very thin "board" type boxspring to make the bed lower and a bunk-bed type mattress. He has a safety rail on the side and I put chair next to it to help him get into it. I would have kept him in the toddler bed longer except he was getting to tall for it and he looked squished. He is 3 years old and will be 4 in September. It was just the right time for him.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• well, we skipped the toddler bed. our first two went from the crib to a twin at about 12 months. our 3rd is now 18 months old and still in the crib (mainly because she's not walking yet), but she'll have to move out soon as we are expecting #4 in 6 months.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2009