What age is right?

What age did you feel comfortable letting your child spend the night away from home? I ask this because my boys 4 and 2 have spend the night company all the time from ages 1 to 6 and I have NEVER let my kids stay the night away from me. Am I being over protective or is this ok?

TaterNJo0sMommy

Asked by TaterNJo0sMommy at 4:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've said that I won't feel comfortable letting my kids spend the night away from me until they're old enough to tell me they want to and can call if they want to come home (and potty trained would be a plus as well). My husband thinks I'm being overprotective, but that's just me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• well thats a tricky question. i said 5 years but my sons father recently died and his parents wanted time with my son. he is 2 by the way. they had him for 2 weeks. i know it was excessive but they needed the time and so did i.
    momdallas

Answer by momdallas at 4:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I actually wanted my son to stay over night at my moms tonight but she already had three other siblings staying the night so we decided to go no on that one. I think it is just a matter of behavior in your child. Can you be sure he/she will be okay and knows how to call you, or you know they will listen to the other parent then I think it is just fine in that case. I want my son to be able to go over nights cause mommy and daddy need breaks from baby and I honestly think he needs breaks from us.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We have a standing rule that they have to be at least 4 and potty trained completely.

That's under normal circumstances.

momdallas...I'm sorry for your loss and those circumstances are completely understandable.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my kids where staying all night with my in laws at about one month old and my sister house but the longest was when i had my son my doughter stay with my family for a week then when my son was put in the hopsital for over a week it is hard but they need to stay with other people so that if they have to they will be ok with out you all night i know it is hard to do but it will help them out to i was older befor i stayed away it was hard to do but i had to my mother was sick and my father had to be there for her that night at the hospial
    michellesp

Answer by michellesp at 6:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my new son was a week old when he stayed with relatives. I was in the hospital so he had too. Now my 4year old loves staying with grandma because he gets one and one time instead of having to share it with his brother. My son started staying at grandmas when he would stay in his playpen or when he would sleep with grandma. I never trusted them with the bottle and solid foods. My parents now they would stay at our house to have him feel safe in his own house he has all the stuff he needs here and it was easier. Really when u feel right but there is age that they should be able to go but u need to figure it out but by 5 is way too late. I think that u can think different
    lcdwinter

Answer by lcdwinter at 7:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My kids have been spending the night at my parents (who live next door) on occasion since they were only a few months old. It's not very often, and my mom usually comes to my house to put the baby to bed, but he has stayed the night. I wouldn't let them stay over at anyone elses house until they were a bit older.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• overprotective -- but does depends where they are staying. My daughter stayed the night with my mom as soon as doc put her on suplimental formula and I was able to pump enough and have formlua to take over there. So that was about 2 or 3 weeks old! It was such a great break. My daughter is almost two and she spends almost every other weekend with my mom and stays the night. Sometimes I just want to keep her for myself, but I know it's good bonding for them too. And when my mom has her she usually takes her to see my grandparents and aunt and uncle too so my dd can be with more family. A friend watches her for the night if I have something going on -- like a wedding. But it's all people I know and trust.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009