7 week old

she is formula fed and up to 5 ounces every 4-5 hours. should she be eating that much? what is "normal"?

tawnbond

Asked by tawnbond at 5:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my first was drink that when she was that age but what has your child doc. said about it if they are not worried then i would not be
    michellesp

Answer by michellesp at 5:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The true test is whethe or not she is gaining weight as she expected.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 5:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Every child is different. My daughter would nurse for an hour and a half at 1 sitting every 3 hours. When she nursed she'd eat about 12 ounces every 5-6 hours. She was a litle porker and was chubby but now she's almost my height at 8 and I'm 5'2 and she's tall and skinny. They'll stop eating when they are full but a restrictive diet at that age is not needed. So just let her eat until she's full. Its good for her.
    AmericanChild82

Answer by AmericanChild82 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• They say to multiply the baby's weight by 2.5. The calculation should equal the total amount of ounces per day. Mine would eat 3 oz, every 2 hours at that time - but he has reflux and couldn't take large amounts. Like the above answer, if she's gaining weight, she should be OK. Babies will eat until they're full!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2009