is it wrong for a christian to own a picture of a mermaid or a mermaid figure or doll?

some people say mermaids are mythical creatures, what exactly does that mean?

ashleyamanda

Asked by ashleyamanda at 6:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To answer the question of what that means, some people feel that to have pictures or dolls of mythical creatures around indicates that they "buy into" that creature's actual existence or have reverence for them. Since we as Christians are not to revere anyone or anything other than God, that would be the reason that they feel you shouldn't have those things.
    It's the same reason that Muslims can't have any images from nature on their mosques. It is to avoid any appearance of reverence or worship of those things. Those particular Christians believe that to obey the command against graven images, they must not have images of anything that has been a part of any other belief system besides God.
    That's just the best I can do for an explanation. If I have distorted or misunderstood the part I mentioned about Islam, I welcome correction. That's just what we learned in school.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 3:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think it's up to each individual Christian to find what God is convicting them of in their hearts. For each of us it's completely different. I personally don't think having a mermaid picture or a mermaid doll is wrong, it's part of fantasy and imagination. Of course if you are worshipping the doll, or believing that they truly exist, then yes that might be an issue that gets in the way of your time with God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I do not think it is wrong.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• A mythical creature is something that was once believed to be real but has since been proven to not exist.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• nope.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 7:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That would be like saying that you also couldn't have representations of unicorns or faeries or dragons or leprechauns or genii or a hundred other things, wouldn't it? Because they aren't real. That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Why would that be wrong?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Owning a mermaid doll is not a sin!  If so, then my poor, poor daughter is going to hell, ugh!  She does not worship her doll.  It is simply a doll to drag around the house and comb her hair. 

If you're concerned, pray to God about it.  Ask him to direct you in the right path. 

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• First off... For something to be a "Myth" it must be a common belief (at one time) that can not be scientifically proven. Jesus is also considered to be part of Christian Mythology, makeing him a myth. But as a christian you would put great faith in that myth, to you it's very real. There are still people on earth that believe in the existance of mermaids... I happen to be one of them, as is my christian husband. I don't think there is anything wrong with owning mermaid pictures or dolls or whatnot. The basic fact is this, while mermaids are today considered to be a myth because there is little to know way to PROOVE they ever or do exist there is really no proof to say they didn't. Until recent years the giant squid was seen as a myth also, now we know better. Who is to say that mermaids are any different. If they exist in the depths of the seas we would never have a clue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If they do exist they would be a creation from the same God or Gods that created us. And therefore there would be no reason to believe that having a mermaid doll is any different from having a stuffed cow.

If they don't exist then how is it any different from any other myth? Or unprooved belief??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2009