What Do You Consider to be "Natural Childbirth?"

I thought I had escaped the "personal questions" after I had given birth (you know, the "pregnancy" questions about what you plan on doing with your breasts and vagina during and after birth all-the-while the person pets your stomach like a cat lol). But, I haven't. Lately people have been asking me about my birthing experience (yes, even strangers and aquiantances) and it seems like people are really confused as to what "Natural Childbirth" really is. People always ask me, "did you give birth naturally?" and I say "vaginally, yes. Naturally? no. I had an epidural" and they always reply "well vaginally is what I meant by natural."

I thought it was only "natural" if you did it vaginally without medicine? I'm confused.

(please no drama about epidurals and whatever else...I had enough of that yesterday on here with people talking about God know what morbid crap).

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 7:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My view is: no induction, no intervention, no pain meds-epidural or iv drugs & a vaginal birth. Now I do applaud the women who still went "natural" as far as refusing pain meds if they had to have an induction. That's strength!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• In my experience, "natural" is generally meant to be vaginally with NO pain medications or other interventions.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Vaginally without medicine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No interventions (vaginal exams, any type of medication, IV, EFM), but I have some conflicting views (within myself) about whether leaving home to give birth is natural or not...
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 7:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• giving birth without pain meds is natural in my opinion. i was given pitocin (induced) both times without pain meds and the pain was sickening. next time if i get induced i am getting an epidural for sure.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 7:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I personally think,vaginaly,but I don't think taking meds,makes it any less natural,I did'nt have an epi,or anything,but I don't feel,I done anything ,anymore natural,than the girl down the hall ,that had an epi.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My vote is also a vaginal birth with no medications.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 8:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There is nothing natural about giving birth with drugs in your system. THat is not a personal attack on anyone or anything. It just goes against the definition of natural. Words have meaning for a reason and you can't just change them to suit your liking. I could call a car a 'taco' but it doesn't change the meaning of the word taco!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Vaginal birth that is not augmented (meaning artificially induced), no drugs, no iV's, no interventions. Birth that is allowed to happen naturally without a doc/midwife coaching breaking your waters, stripping your membranes, giving you pitocin, or anything else to speed things along. There is nothing natural about a pitocin induced birth or one with drugs. Just because the baby comes out of a vagina does not mean the birth is natural lol.

My first birth, not natural.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Vaginally with out medicine!
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 9:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009