If bill collectors keep calling and bills are not being paid, can I lose my house or my car?

Church may be able to help me some. I am unemployed right now!!! Wan't desperately to take care of this, ASAP!!! Need info on any ways to recieve assistance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• If it is other bills besides your car and home that are trying to collect.....they can't take your car and home from you right away. It takes a long time to get to that point and God willing you will have found a job and gotten back on track before it happens. They will go through the collections process with you first. If they still don't collect they can sue you, it is usually a couple of years before they get to that. If they win a judgement, that's when you can be forced into bankruptcy. Large credit card companies are more likely to be the ones who do this to you because they have the time and money to go through with it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Depends on what the bills are for. If you are not paying your mortgage, you can lose your house. If you are not paying your car note, you can lose your car. Depending on what other bills you have and what your agreements are, they may be able to seize your assets or property as payment if you're unable to pay for bills. For companies that can't necessarily take your house or car as payment, they can sue you in small claims and put a lean on your property (house or car) if you are unable to pay (usually within 30 days of non-payment after ruling has been made). This means you cannot sell your house or car without the money going directly to the person that you owe the money to.

Can you try looking up the number to your states local welfare office and applying for assistance or applying for unemployment?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Only if the bills you are not paying are the mortgage, car payment or taxes. If you can't pay your bills, that's not your fault, don't feel bad many many people are in the same boat and it's sinking fast. Know your rights! Google your rights in your state. Tell them they can legally call you between the hours of 6:00 and 7:00pm, then turn your phone off. Claim bankruptcy, you won't loss your home as long as you are still paying for it. Claiming bankruptcy is going to clean up your credit faster than paying off the debt.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 8:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I take it you are buying your house. Call your mortgage company, the majority of them are all making deals right now. I have a friend that was 3 mths behind and the mortgage company refinanced her on the lower interest rate & moved all 3 back pymnts to the end of her note. But you have to call them.
    The other bills. For now, only pay your necessities if you can. Mortgage, food, utilities. You can call the financier of the car and ask for assistance - these are usually harder but you never know.
    Yes, they can and will take the car. Not to say they want it. That is why you should talk to them.
    Other bills such as credit cards - leave them alone. They are not necessity and they can wait.
    Good luck to you.
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Call the mortgage company and/or HUD. You don't have to be behind to have your mortgage adjusted. If you have become unemployed since you bought the place there is a good chance they can readjust the rate. I have read as low as 2% if needed but I think it depends on each circumstance.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If you are not paying either yes you can and will lose them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i had a car in my name when i was being harrassed by a collection agency for my bank account and cc. ii just ignored them for years and nothing happened.. then i decided to pay off the bank account with cc.then i find out that after 7yrs they drop off your score so i never paid back the other cc....even on my creidt report it says the approximate date it will drop btw.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2009