The Government provides us with education and housing, how is it working for you?

My last question had asked what are our RIGHTS and what is a difference between PRIVLAGES and RIGHTS. Many of you state that education and housing are rights. The government feels the same way as you do, because currently they help provide those things. They have control, to insure you have the same RIGHT as everyone else. That you have that access, correct?

Please tell me how you feel the government has taken care of FREE Education and FREE housing, that you have a RIGHT to? The federal government got involved in Public schools in the late 40's and free housing came after WW2 for military families. Howdoes the government rate in these areas,since they took these RIGHTS over, in the efficiency and safety of both of these things. Thanks!

TinasTribe

Asked by TinasTribe at 7:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wonderful Question. I am NOT pleased with the Federal Governments involvement in education. I wish they would get their greedy beaurcratic hands away from education. And education and housing are NOT rights. The OPPORTUNITY to have education and own a home are a RIGHT. What you do with that opportunity is up to YOU!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't see what housing for military members has to do with the general population?  The government may tell you military housing is free, but it's not, it' s part of their pay. If they didn't provide housing they'd have to pay military members a lot more. My husband is a LT in the Navy and has a masters in engineering. He makes way less serving his country than he would as a civilian, and that's even including housing.

As for education, I have to say I think most public schools are lousy, and I don't think no child left behind is helping any. I send my children to public school because I can't afford private, but we supplement their education at home.

trickortreat

Answer by trickortreat at 7:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Trick, did I miss something. Military housing is NOT free.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• disregard, I re-read the question.... I really need to drink my coffee before I read these questions.
    Tina, military receive a housing allowance and even when they live ON base, they have to pay for the housing with that allowance. Can you elaborate your definition of free housing for military...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have to ask, but just how were people being educated before? I feel education should be free because the children are our future and they will be the next innovaters adnleaders. If we do not make sure they are educated then our country is doomed.
    Housing is a dfferant story and I don't know where I put that check they sent me to pay off my house. That's right I didn't take out a mortgage with adjustable rates so I don't get one!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Free housing??? Where? We have the right to buy a house, but we have to pay for it ourselves. Military may be different. but the general public is supposed to pay their rent or mortgage. I guess we're suckers cause we PAID for ours.
    As for education, free education is a joke. Anything you want your children to know, you have to teach them yourself. Public schools are a case of the lowest common denominator, and lots of them are basically holding pens for kids til they turn 18 or drop out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'm not military but I have no problem with service men and women and their families being provided with a housing "allowance." Those who would give their lives to ensure our freedom get my utmost respect (including retired, disabled and elderly service men and women). Those who just want to live off the government...not so much.

As for public education...THAT needs a major overhaul--especially with the NCLB bill. Passing a failing student along so as not to hurt their self-esteem, and only "teaching to test" does NOT benefit our children. I am currently a substitute teacher, and I just subbed in a Learning Support classroom of high school juniors and seniors. NONE of them have learning disabilities (IEPs), they're just lazy--but hey, they're "somebody!"

continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• continued

Most of the students I have worked with can BARELY figure out how to use a calculator, and cannot read past a 3rd grade level--my Autistic 7 year old reads at a 4th grade level, and is working on 3rd grade math skills! So there is absolutely NO EXCUSE!

These graduating seniors are our future! Where will they go, what kind of employment will they have? Who knows?! And for the record...this school district is primarily a suburban upper middle class demographic! Sad...VERY sad. Glad they have a lot of self-esteem and attitude to go with it though. ::sigh::
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Which is why I homeschool and own my own home.....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Okay, I really don't understand why school can be so hard for some. I went to HS in California. They have state competency exams that you have to pass before you can graduate. The school counselor really freaked me out about it, so I decided to take a Math Comp class so that I would be prepared. Keep in mind the first day I attended was the first day of the second quarter my Junior year and there were Freshman - Seniors in this class. Here is the first question that was asked on my first day:

"Who can tell me how many inches are in a foot?" 

Seriously.  .  .  how dumbed down do schools need to go to pass everyone and is this to the detriment of our future?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009