What do you think of Overseas Contingency Operation?

Do you think it is a War?
Do you think our troop in Afghanistan are engaged in War fighting to reduce terrorist threats?
Do you think Overseas Contingency Operation is an HONEST name for this engagement/war?
Does it feel like the new name, Overseas Contingency Operation, is more of a marketing phrase to appease Obama's liberal anti-war associates? (ie: Pelosi)

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Obama and company can sugar coat it all they want.

War is war...terrorists are terrorists...no matter how they try to spin it!

But I suppose with the liberal line of thinking, they're still "somebodies" just like you and me. Whatever.

throwing up

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• This is so bad. It's going to give people a sense of complacency (b/c lets face it people have a short memory) and make them think that the threat is over. It's not. we are at war. Just not with a select country but people in lots of countries, even our own, that will do anything to take us down and changing the jargon doesn't change the facts, it only changes how serious it looks like the gov't is taking it.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I wonder if they will still call it that when we are attacked again on our own soil by terrorists. I think it's the Obama Administration's way to globally disassociate itself with the last administration. However, I think the way it will translate to our foreign enemies will be interpreted in a different way. It seems the Obama administration is afraid to use strong language with our enemies, but has no problem throwing CEO's under the bus.

my answers: Stupid name.

Yes, it's war.

Yes.

Honest name?  No.

Yes (I am sure he wants to call off Bill Ayers which is none too happy about the Afghanistan project - don't want to piss off a domestic terrorist ;oP)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Link to your story.

There is just absolutely nothing funny about war in Afghanistan.Don't we need to care more about  our troops.Name is just a name but it will not change anything.People who don't have the same ideals in life will kill our soldiers there.

Again some women like to attack others........LoriKeet what is liberal thinking??

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Do you think it is a War?

I think Iraq was and is an invasion and occupation. I think the "war" in in Afghanistan and is where we should be if anywhere.

Absolutely.

No, not really.

I think it's their attempt at trying to add fluff. Make it not sound as horrible as it really is.

I don't see how renaming it is going to change anything but maybe they are trying to put a more positive spin on what's going on over there.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• An event that may occur but that is not likely or intended; a possibility.

The guy is a putz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• well does the overseas contigency operation involve uniformed american boys fighting and dying?
    Yes? Really?

you can dress up a cat anyway you like it, and at the end of the day, it's still a cat.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Anon, are you asking for a link ? What "story"? It's what the the Obama administration has officially neamed the War on Terror. It's been all over the news. I am surprised you don't know already... Since you feel entitled to have links provided instead of googling yourself :o)
    Here are just a taste:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032402818.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5050429/War-on-terror-rebranded-as-overseas-contingency-operation.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/03/25/report-obama-administration-backing-away-global-war-terror/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/03/obama-words.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2009/03/64606287/1
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• War is war. Obama's cult following is against war, hence there is no war just a "contingency operation". Everybody's happy.....

The war on terror wil not end because it isn't one thing or group we can conquer. It is a global inciative to erradicate the christian western world. Like it or not the evil has its roots in religion and our enemies in this war consider it a holy war.

Obama is only weakening our position.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Obama and Janet Napolitano have just effectively p*ssified us in the eyes of the world.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2009