Wiccans and other Pagans, help me out please? Just need feedback on some books.

Ok, I posted a journal about this already, so since it's too long for a question, I'm going to post a link to the journal, if you don't mind reading it. Basically, to sum it up, I'm on the path to becoming Wiccan/Pagan, and I borrowed some books from a friend and I'd like some feedback on them from other people. Here's the link: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1429723/Wiccans_and_other_Pagans_can_I_get_your_input_on_some_books_please
I didn't have room to post the books, I tried. Sorry! Anyway, do you mind looking over that for me? Thanks! Blessed Be!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly read them all... and if it doesn't click with me I set it aside and go to the next, but of course keep the others as ref.
    Scott Cunningham is good for anyone starting out or refreshing themselves I use his Encycyclopedia of Magical Herbs all the time...
    I also like books by Ann Moura ... she is Green Witch.
    Edan McCoy is always good and that is only a few I can think of right now...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I am no longer practicing, but when I was I read a lot of Silver Raven Wolf. There's also a wonderful novel called "Book of Shadows" by Philis Couret (sp?) that talks about her spiritual journey:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_1_19?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=book+of+shadows+by+phyllis+curott&x=0&y=0&sprefix=Book+of+Shadows+by+

And of course the "Big Blue Book" - Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft. Scott Cunningham is another good author to read if your solitary. Good luck to you on your chosen path.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Oh yes I too have a few from Silver RavenWolf...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• To be honest I didn't read your journal, Sorry, I'm still half asleep and that was just to much work for me today.

Anyways, I am a huge fan of the Complete Idiots Guides and the "Dummies" books... They are all great for the newbie and for the acomplished Witch... There is a huge list of them. I am just finishing the Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft. Now, I'm not wiccan but it's still a great book... Next is the Idiots Guide to Paganism...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have some of Silvers books. She is not a bad author she just has a tendancy to repeat the same info from book to book. Now that being said her book called Solitary Witch is one of her best. I moved on to books that pertain to one subject matter. For example books for astral projection, divination, ect.. Try to have a magical almanac that is something I feel I need. I use we'moon, it is one written by women and has a lot of useful information. It is one of the best almanacs I have ever owned. I am like the other moms I like Scott Cunninham, the Idiots guide and I do like Silvers book Solitary Witch but not her other works. Welcome to the path.
    Merry Meet
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Do any of you have a We'moon almanac?
    You can look at their site here
    http://www.wemoon.ws/
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'm going to differ with the others here. I find Silver Ravenwolf to be a "fluffy bunny", feel good, shallow witch who writes her books to her audience. Her main readers are Tween girls who want to play at witchcraft for a few months before moving on to something else, and their mothers who are shelling out the money for her books and flip through them to make sure there's nothing in the slightest bit controversial or really religous or harmful about them. She's in it for the money, which is not a bad thing in itself, I'm all for a witch who can better her station in life, but not by dumbing down and fluffying the religion to a bunch of middle school girls throwing glitter around their bedrooms and pretending to cast spells. I'm sure Catholic mothers wouldn't want their daughters pretending to administer the sacraments to each other or Baptist mothers wouldn't want their daughters baptising each other and thinking it was real
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• cont. Since mothers of those other religions wouldn't want their daughters doing those things, what makes it right to for someone disrespect our religion? The fact that a "Witch" is doing it makes it worse in my opinion.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You do have a point pagan_mama. I do recall her giving the air of "fluff bunny" in her books. The one that I kept is more of an encyclopedia but I still prefur to use the smaller more specific books. I messed up once and let it slip at a festival to one of her fellow writters my opinion on her repeated fluff that I guess is a friend of hers. They didn't like what I had to say but it was no skin off my teeth. I just don't buy any more of her books period.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I answered on your journal post.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2009