• In the Spotlight:

For those that don't know the new safty seat law on carseats

I just found out the other day a friend of mine told me that starting as of April 1st you have to have a booster seat or child resistant seat for a child up to the age of 8 she told me that you have 6 months after that to get one then you get 1 warrning then you will get a fine. I had to take my youngest to the dr on Tuesday she gave me a summery of her visit like she always does and it said as of October 2009 (which would be the 6 months from April) that the child has to be in a booster or resistant seat until age 8 and until 4'9 for those of you that hasn't heard the new law yet.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thanks for the info!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• What state is that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• FYI - these laws are different depending on the state your in...as far as I can find; OH is the only state currently talking about a new child restraint law...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• it is different for every state. Some states already have similar laws on the books. For instance my cousin, who is 8, in NC is still in a booster because he doesn't meet the weight requirements. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Depends on the state. That's been the law here in Illinois for years. Here it is 8 or 80lbs. All of my kids are in boosters/carseats including my oldest who will be 9 in June but only weighs 40lbs (even though, by law, she no longer needs one). She'll be in a booster until she is much bigger (she's also short for her age so has about 9" to grow to meet the recommended height).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Not for our state, it's not the same for every state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That has been the law in NC for a while now:
    8 years old
    or
    80 lbs.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• not sure about my state, but when the time approces we will find out.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• another law where the government tries to control what we do with our kids. Pretty soon it will be illegal for them to be in the car at all, and if we kiss them on the forehead it will be child abuse and our child will be taken away from us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2009