Crochet question

I am a beginner at crochet, and have been doing small projects (scarves, "lovie's", pot holders, etc) to practice my stitches, and I think I have them down okay, so I'm ready to start with a pattern. But I am having the hardest time reading the pattern! I know the abbreviations for the stitches - that's not the problem, but I have no idea how many stitches to begin with for the very first row.

For example:

"WAVY BABY BLANKET
Instructions
Wavy stitch (multiple of 13 sts + 4: 1-row repeat)
Set up row: Beg in second ch from hook, sc second ch and in next ch; skip 1 ch, sc in next 5 ch . . ."

So . . . how many chains am I supposed to start with? Can anyone translate this into English?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Sounds like you need 2 rows of 17 stitches (chain) then sc in the second ch from the hook, sc in next ch, sk 1 ch, sc in next 5 ch

There is a great group on here Knit & Crochet Moms they are very helpful.

Lots of luck.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There should be more instructions that tell you how many to chain to begin with. If there isn't then you decide how many to start with depending on your gauge of your yarn and how big you want the blanket. Just make sure the ending # of stitches is a multiple of 17 and then add 4 to that number. That's so the pattern is worked evenly. Then just keep repeating the pattern.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Most sites I've looked at for patterns TELL you how many to begin with. If I were using this pattern, I'd do multiples of 17 stitches until it's the width you're looking for.

Have you looked at www.lionbrand.com for patterns?  They might be easier for you to read.  You might have to sign up for a free account--I've never been spammed from them though. 

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If the pattern doesn't specify the number of chains, you need to make a swatch. The pattern calls for a multiple of 13 + 4. I would chain 13 X 5 = 65 + 4 = 69. 69 chains would be a great place to start. Then, work the pattern for a few rows. At this point, you can measure the length of the swatch. Let's just say it is 12 inches long, and you want a blanket that is about 36 inches wide... 12 is 1/3 of 36; therefore, I would multiply 13 X 5 X 3 = 195 + 4 = 199 (this would be the number of chains you would begin with assuming my assumptions are correct, which they probably are not). I sure hope this helps... =)
    Lizbutt1

Answer by Lizbutt1 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009