To young?

I took my kids to the dr on monday. She said that my son had bronchitis. But my girls just had a cold. Well my 3m old was not coughing that much then. She has been coughing and sneezing ALOT she couldnt sleep it was so bad, and she has diarrhea that is GREEN and watery. Is she still to young to give her med or could they? My other dd has a check-up today I was going to take her with me to see if they could give her something. But they said until they have green stuff coming out of their nose or mouth then its nothing to worry bout but they are so congested.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• According the the dr. yes they are to young to treat with meds.. My daughter was pretty sick alot when she was that young and my ped. reccommended to use a humidifier for the congestion, to elevate one end of her crib (put a pillow under the mattress) also for the congestion, and to give them plenty of feedings even a little pedialyte(very little like an ounce every so often if the diareahh is severe. I feel the same as you do, there seems like there should be a decongestiant for babys.. hope this helps.. good luck.. sick kids are rough..
    malissamom

Answer by malissamom at 8:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If she has bronicitis, they will give her an antibitoic. My dd has bronciolitis at 12 weeks and was on albuteral and an antibiotic. Take her in and let doctor assess. Also, askt he doc before giving pedialyte. I know if they have that other fluids need to be watered down for some reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• She is too young to give anything to without a prescription according to general guidelines. It's up to you in the end if you're going to give her something or not.

More than likely, the diarrhea is from the mucous working through her system. It's all draining somewhere....mostly into her stomach and then through her digestive system. Better to go out that end, than to have her spitting up all the time! (my boys get loose bowels every time they have a bad cold)

Elevate their heads.
    Steam them in the bathroom to help loosen it up...blow noses or suction it out.
    Run a humidifier in each bedroom to help.
    Suction and/or saline drops to help break it up and help it drain.
    Tylenol for discomfort.

Colds are caused by a virus and aren't usually treated with medication. If it is, it's treating/relieving the symptoms, but not helping to cure the cold. They need to drain to get it out of their system.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• U can give tylenol for discomfort I gave my dd menthol baths twice a day and baby vicks on chest and feet then cozy jammies. Lots of sucking the nose and saline drops. Lots of love.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son was only 2 1/2 weeks old when the er put him on a perscription for an ear infection. He hasnt needed to be on one since, but I was freaking cuz he was way tooo young. But hes ok. But I would go with ticcledblue, thats everything that they told me I could do for my sons cold.
    Anonymous