Are Schools Closing In Your Area?

I am appalled to hear of all the schools that are closing due to no money! WTF?
I am in Florida and this is headline news everyday. Smaller schools are closing and the kids are being bussed to other schools. I don't believe our kids are getting the education they need as it is. So now let's bus kids to other schools and make our classrooms that much more larger! It really pisses me off that OUR KIDS' EDUCATION IS NOT IMPORTANT TO OUR GOVERNMENT!! We can bail out big companies, the government can do STUPID stuff with OUR tax dollars but somehow OUR KIDS ARE NOT IMPORTANT! OUR kids need an education! It's one thing to see companies closing their doors due to the economy but our schools? This beats all I have ever heard!

BrendaMomOf3

Asked by BrendaMomOf3 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• 1057 am I do educate my children. However, the law requires I send them to school. I could homeschool but I am not degreed. Since they take money from my paycheck and property taxes I am sending them to public. If the government wants to give me back my money I would be happy to send them to private.
    Anonymous

• I thought some of the money that is going to states in for education. Am i wrong?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yes, mostly private schools, but a few public schools as well. It sucks. I agree the government doesn't do enough for our schools.
    Anonymous

• No.Quite the opposite! I'm in the Lehigh Valley, PA area, and our public schools are EXPANDING on existing buildings, renovating old buildings to become schools, and new schools are being built along with the extras...like new football stadiums, athletic fields, indoor swimming pools, hockey rinks, etc--some of which will be available to the public when not in use to help generate income to pay for these "perks." To accommodate the influx of students to the area (from the housing boom that this area has seen over the past 10+ years.

New and custom houses are STILL being built and sold, too!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I honestly don't know what amont of money is going to our schools. Apparently not enough if school are HAVING to close their doors. One option is to do a 4 day week of school. The kids will go an extra hour a day. I can deal with that. Yes, that will save a lot of money on transportation, electric, etc. But, I still can not phathom schools closing. With schools closing, teachers will be without jobs. Yep, more people having to standing in the unemployment line. It sickens me!
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Lori, it's nice to hear your schools aren't affected.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Have you contacted the school district are these schools closing because of low enrollment, or are they not getting good enough scores.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Lol I was going to say hell yeah, I'm in FL! They are closing left and right, regardless if they are "A rated" or not! I think it's insane.

I know I heard about several new gambling bills coming up that would go to fund education and honestly at this point I say bring gambling to the whole dang state if it means better education or hell at this point any education.

To be perfectly honest, ever since I became a mother I have said how badly I want to be out of this state before my DD starts any kind of serious schooling. There are too few decent schools around let alone good ones. I just don't know where they are any better...
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Since property taxes provide a good chunk of supplemental funding towards a school district's operating budget, I'd be interested to know of the schools that are closing or are in rough shape, how many of the residents actually PAY property taxes?

If the schools are in rough shape, I'm willing to bet the infrastructure (police and emergency services) are ALSO in rough shape, since again, property taxes supplement what the state and federal government dole out.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I live in Va,and in Roanoke they are closing about 5 schools,and bussing the kids,some will be on the bus for a little over an hour in the morning,and a little over an hour in the evening. It is sad,that our economy has gotten that bad.I'm sorry for you moms,that this is effecting your children. Good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2009