Why are people so rude?

My kids are Irish and Black I have taught them to be proud of there heritage. So anyway I was at there school and they asked isn't you kids last name Irish i said yea, then this lady proceede to ask me if I adopted them. I say wahy would you ask she said oh because i thought you were African American. I said I am and also part Blackfoot Indian so......what is your point.....How ignorant.

Sorry had to vent

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because people don't think sometimes. I've had some gray hair since I was like 16 and while working one day this guy was staring (I thought passe me). I turned around to see what he was looking at but there was nothing there. Then he said "Do you know you have gray hair?" Uh - YEAH!!! And we had a preemie baby 1 1/2 years ago. Everywhere we go people feel the need to tell us how tiny he is and how cute he is. Guess what? I already know it. Sometimes while we feel something is rude (and it generally is) they just don't realize it. Hang in there and keep teaching them to be proud!
    Bethe333

Answer by Bethe333 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That sucks mama... Why cant ppl just mind there own.. So what if im a heinz57, so are they.. Plus they dont want ppl to know that about them selfs thats all.. Dont take it to heart mama... PPL are just down right, hands down stupid!!!!!
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my neighbor is black and irish(maybe you are her)when i meet her i knew there was a nationality thing going on.but jeees i didnt say a thing.i kind of just waited for her to tell me if she wanted.ya even though i dont like my neighbor(it has nothing to do with that)i would never ask about her heritage.the kids do not not look alike at all. one looks the mom and the other the dad.her last name is also clearly irish and it only takes a jerk if they cant figure out you are married to a irish man...i might add the kids are really good looking kids the girl is blond with brown eyes and olive skin.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sorry im not your neighbor because i get along with everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• One word . IGNORANCE
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• People still have a tendency to put there foot in there mouth sometimes. I am caucasian and my DH is African-American. So my girls are mixed race. I have had that problem for years. I ignore it. I let it slide right off my back.

Answer by louise2 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• she probably didn't really mean anything by it. Some people are just not as educated about some things as others. My brother in law puts his foot in his mouth so much it's pretty much there all the time, and it's just because he doesn't know any better about so many things.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• People don't realize that rude and interesting are not the same thing. It really shocks me that in 2009 we are still dealing with people who just cannot get a grip on blended races. I would ignore people like that because they are ignorant and there is nothing you can do to fix it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Ugh, you are so right. People just take liberties with everything. It's ridiculous! I am short and people are always asking me how tall I am which I think is very rude. Also, sometimes they actually try to pick me up! That makes me furious. I am short, I'm not a child! They just don't think.

Besides, what do these people think? There are no black people in Ireland? Duh, of course there are! You're kids should be proud to have such a rich ancestry. Just take comfort in knowing that you'll raise your kids better then that person's parents did!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Foot in mouth disease? Sometimes it's curiousity just asked in the wrong way. Mine friends daughter is African American, Irish and Greek. She has an Irish last name. She is beautiful! The most amazing eyes that I can't even describe the color, kind of gold with brown flecks. My friend gets stupid questions to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2009