Breastfeeding Questions

1: If you are breastfeeeding and get preganant are yousupposed to stop breastfeeding or continue to breastfeed?
2: I have heard you are not supposed to wear an underwire bra if you are breast feeding. Is this true? Why do they make underwire nursing bras if so?

MommaM2

Asked by MommaM2 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• First of all, most women can sucessfully breastfeed during pregnancy. You can still nurse after the baby is born also. Just remeber that the baby needs the milk more, so he/she eats first, then your older child can nurse. Of course if you have had promblem pregnancys you will want your OB to be aware of your nursing, since it can make your uterus contract.
    Second I have, nursed 4 babies (working on #5) while wearing underwire nursing bras. I have a full size chest and need the support.
    Tazz2299

Answer by Tazz2299 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• 1. Your not supposed to but women do.
    2. That's a load of BS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• 1. There is ZERO reason to quit breastfeeding just because you got pregnant! You should continue to nurse your child, especially if they are under 1 and would need to go onto formula. Nursing is much better! There is no danger in it at all (unless you are at risk for PTL, or have medical issues)

2. I wore an underwire the entire time I nursed, 21 months. I have never heard you can't lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The reason for the underwire thing is that the added pressure may cause clogged ducts. I think it's mostly uncomfortable especially when your milk first comes in and your not used to having boobs full of milk! I've been nursing for almost 8 months now and my breasts feel fine now, but when I first got started they hurt all the time. I couldn't even imagine using an underwire. Now I don't see the problem though. I still don't on a regular basis, but I do when I go out and I want to look nice.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You do not have to wean due to pregnancy UNLESS you are high risk/at risk for preterm labor.

Underwire bras can sometimes cause plugged ducts which can sometimes lead to mastitis, if the wire puts pressure on the breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• 1. No reason to quit breast feeding unless you milk dries up or you just simply don't want to. I'm pregnant right now and have a 6 month old and my OB even encourages me to continue to nurse. People who have no experience like to hate on the moms that continue, but we are not putting our children in danger by any means unless the expecting mother is at risk for pre-term labor. So the first poster is totally wrong about this.

2. I have never heard of that. I prefer underwire and haven't had any trouble with it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2009